July 29, 2008

Green Gram Dal


This Gravy is one of my all time favourites. I came across this recipe on a cookery show & I was tempted to try it out . It turned out to be very delicious & ever since it has become a regular dish at our home. What I really like about this dish is that it is very simple to make & Green Gram gives a very different flavour to the gravy. You could even use sprouted green gram as a healthier option.
Tastes good with Rotis or Pooris or even Rice.

Preparation Time: 30 mins

Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups Green Gram/Moong Beans - soaked for 15 mins
  2. 1 big onion - finely chopped
  3. 2 tomatoes - chopped
  4. 2 bell peppers/capsicum - chopped into large chunks
  5. 1 tsp cumin seeds
  6. 1 green chilli - slit length wise
  7. 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
  8. 1/2 tsp Garam masala
  9. 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste (optional)
  10. Oil
  11. Salt as per taste

Method:

  • Pressure cook Green Gram
  • Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add cumin seeds
  • Once the seeds splutter, add ginger-garlic paste, green chilli & saute for 30 secs
  • Add onions & saute till it turns transparent
  • Add tomatoes & saute for another 2 mins
  • Add bell peppers alongwith Chilli powder & Garam Masala, Fry till oil separates
  • Add cooked green gram & salt, Mix well
  • Cook on low flame for 5 - 8 mins

Serve HOT with Rotis/Pooris/Rice .. Enjoi !!!

21 comments:

Priti said...

All time favorite dal this one.. and love your new header too..looks gud

rekhas kitchen said...

I can eat this dal like that with out any roti or rice it is mouth watering

Sireesha said...

Green gram dal sounds delicious and inviting........

Purva Desai said...

Dal looks really yummy :)

Purva Desai said...

VP!!
ur right its known as Virgin Colada :)

Divya Vikram said...

Thanks for your coment on my vermicelli pakoda..I used the wheat one..And this dhall loks healthy n yummy..

Divya Vikram said...

Thanks for your coment on my vermicelli pakoda..I used the wheat one..And this dhall loks healthy n yummy..

Paru ... said...

Green gram dal looks very tempting and colorful..Will surely give it a try this week..Great to see another all vegetarian Southy blog..

Thanks for visiting Brindavans.. I surely love the Patra Majjige huli as well..

Paru
WWW.brindavanrecipes.blogspot.com

Usha said...

I make mine the same way minus the green bell pepper,yours looks delicious :)

Madhavi said...

Nice recipe and look delicious !!!

Suma Rajesh said...

looks nice and healthy too

vandana rajesh said...

yummy dal...I enjoy all types of dal.

Madhavi said...

Hey...magic lamp is waiting for u, check my blog!!!

Indranee said...

Dal looks very healthy! Plz check my blog...I've something for you:)

Kitchen Flavours said...

Your recipe looks delicious. I have a suprise for you in my blog. Check out!

Vani said...

I love green gram! The curry looks delicious!

Vani said...

I love green gram! The curry looks delicious!

mitr_bayarea said...

This type of dal is so healthy and easy to make. I've never tried it with adding bell peppers, will do so.

notyet100 said...

dal looks yum,.nice colour too,..

Jeena said...

I love mung beans and this looks fantastic yum!

Sunshinemom said...

Yep! I make this and my daughter loves it:) Your snap is lovely!