September 23, 2008

Guacamole

I was never really into Mexican Cuisine while growing up. The early memories of Mexican food I have is that of my cousins' raving about Taco Bell & the famous Bean Burritos. I really had no clue about what Mexican cuisine is all about back then.

The first Mexican dish I ever tried was the Guacamole made out of mashed avocados. I simply fell in love with the taste. I could easily eat a whole bowl of Guacamole . . .

What I really like about Mexican Cuisine is its alikeness with Indian Cuisine & the right usage of spices making every dish delectable.

Guacamole is the simplest of the Mexican dishes. There are various versions to it. You could add just about anything to suit your tastebuds.

Guacamole is a matter of taste & not measurements. Go Ahead & make your own Guacamole now . . .

Here's my version:

Ingredients:

  • 1 Haas ripe Avocado
  • 1/4 cup Red Bell pepper - Finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup Red Onions - Finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp Lime Juice
  • 2 green chillies - chopped
  • 2 tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1/2 tsp - Black Pepper Powder
  • Salt as per taste
  • Cilantro - finely chopped

Method:

  • Cut the avocado length-wise in halves, De-seed & scoop out avocado from the peel & put in into a mixing bowl.
  • Mash the avocado using a fork. Make sure to retain a few chunks.
  • Add 1 tbsp of lemon juice
  • Add chopped onions, Red Bell Pepper, green chillies, Black pepper powder, cumin powder, salt, cilantro & olive oil
  • Mix well & cover the bowl to prevent oxidation
  • Let the mixture sit a few minutes for the flavors to mingle. Hence, refrigerate atleast for 30 mins before serving.

Serve with Tortilla Chips, Toasted Pita Bread, Veggies or add to a wrap, sandwich or anything you can think of .. Enjoi

NOTE: Adding Lemon juice not only enhances the taste of guacamole but also prevents oxidation of guacamole.

Bury the Avocado pit in the Guacamole before refrigerating it. This will prevent Guacamole from turning brown. Do remember to remove the pit before serving :)

Off this goes to Sunshinemom's place for the Event, Food In Colors - Green. Thanks for hosting.

48 comments:

Suma Rajesh said...

this looks really awesome....loved different colours and if am not wronge, did u changed ur template?...its gud...

sowmya said...

loved your version..looks delicious..

Vidhya said...

Guacamole looks delicious. Did u change ur template? its really neat now. why dont u join foodbuzz publisher program?

Sunshinemom said...

Yet to try this global favourite! Looks so nice and tempting - thank you Deesha!

Priti said...

The new template is cool...looks gud. ..Guacamole looking yummy...and easy to make to..thanks for sharing

n33ma said...

Looks yummy....I love my guacamole topped off with sour cream.

Ramya Bala said...

I luv this stuff a lot that too with corn chips..luv it..

SriLekha said...

hey nice mexican dish! looks tempting!

Swati said...

The guacamole looks yum!!

Valarmathi said...

Looks yummy :)

Dershana said...

wow, i've never had guacamole with red bell peppers. that must really add taste. have avacados at home, will try your version. and loved that tip of burying the pit inside :-)

LG said...

Very well written post with good tips. Greeny Guacomole looks yumm..I will buy Avocados soon..

sra said...

Your template looks good. So does the guacamole, or maybe I should have switched the order of the comments!

Kitchen said...

Wow looks gr8. Nice entry to the event.

Kitchen said...

This blog makeover is awesome.

Shreya said...

Awesome cool template! Love the blue, a fav colour of mine. More reasons to visit often;-). Btw, the dish too is great. I have only heard of guacamole, and never tasted it. Great recipe, and I love the fact that it is not about measurements...

rekhas kitchen said...

mm yummy hey i would like to have this with grilld garlic bread wow i think iam hungry again

Sireesha said...

Yumm yumm mexican dish looks inviting and tempting......Cool template.

Divya said...

Lovely! The green just looks so good. I love guacamole too ever since my friend taught me how to do it.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I love pita chips with Guacamole. Since Summer has come to an end was planning for a BBQ this weekend, have preserved one Guacamole, but I ve never used Onions with Guacamole. shall try it out this time and let you know.

Cham said...

Lovely chunky guacamole, perfect for Game night :)

mitr_bayarea said...

Guacamole looks so inviting, thanks for sharing.

Usha said...

This is one of my favorites too,very interesting tip to bury the avocado pit in the guacamole to prevent browning...never knew that...good one:)

Bhawna said...

guacamole looks really tempting. guacamole recipe is in my draft too. Thank u for nice recipe.

Madhavi said...

Yummyyyyy guacamole !!!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hey, thanks for the comments. guacamole looks terrific.

Divya Vikram said...

We go to mexican restaurants esp for this guacamole..nice recipe..

Illatharasi said...

New recipe for me and never had a chance to try it... Thanks for sharing!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

recently I saw in another blog too...Its a very new recipe to me! Thanx for sharing!

Maria said...

I love Guac! Yours looks fabulous! I need some chips right now:)

raaji said...

Loved the pic......i guess you have changed your blog look.....now it looks real colorful.....

Laavanya said...

Hi Deesha, I like the new look of your blog. I love guacamole too - yummy.

Vaidehi said...

yumm recipe !!

VeggieGirl said...

"Guacamole is a matter of taste & not measurements" I couldn't agree more!! Looove guacamole :0)

Curry Leaf said...

Love the guacamole. a small treat for you in my blog.Kindly visit http://tastycurryleaf.blogspot.com/2008/09/cheese-pennies.html

Sujatha said...

lovely gaucamole! Your template looks very pleasing and inviting..

G.Pavani said...

deesha,it looks really awesome and perfect pic.

Jaishree said...

Lovely gaucamole!New recipe for me and never had a chance to try it...Thank u for nice recipe.

SMN said...

i hv heard and seen this recipe lots of time but never tasted it. i love avocados.

Purva Desai said...

Guacamole is my favourite dip while ving nachos or Buritos...Looks really tempting

Shreya said...

Hi Deesha, kneading the mashed potatos into the wheat flour directly does change the taste, because in this case, there are no onions, chopped green chillies, pounded ginger, etc that are used to prepare the filling separately. That also requires a lot more oil while baking, and therefore the taste is even more better. The Aloo roti is a simple version, more thin (not a filling, but rolled out with the dough) and with less oil and spice. (less time consuming to prepare) Do try it and let me know if you like it.

Richa said...

anything to do w/ avocado is my fav, looks nice n creamy! thanks for dropping by!

Vibaas said...

Deesha, guacamole looks yum.a must try.

Thanks for your comment in my blog :)

vandana rajesh said...

Nice colorful guacamole.Looks absolutely delicious.

Jaya said...

WOW! looks so delicious .
hugs and smiles

Sia said...

i started loving avocado only after tring guacamole :)

Pooh said...

They don't call 'em great minds for nothing. Honestly, I am terribly picky about guacamole because I can never find one that tastes right. You had the right idea- make it yourself to suit your tastes!