When it comes to Italian cuisine, I am a Macaroni & Cheese aficionado. It may not exactly be a gourmet fare, but, it definitely is one of the most popular comfort foods. Nothing can be more soothing than a hot bowl of macaroni on a rainy afternoon.
It was pouring here a couple of weeks ago & I was in no mood to eat Rice for lunch. What I was craving for was a bowl of piping HOT Macaroni dipped in Tomato sauce. Yummilicious !!!
Since authentic Italian Macaroni is quite bland for my taste buds, I went ahead to make my own version of Macaroni, All spiced up for a rainy afternoon & ofcourse with very little cheese :)
Here is my version.
Time Required: 20 mins
- 1 packet Macaroni
- 2 large Tomatoes/canned tomatoes/Tomato puree
- 1 onion
- 2 Green chillies
- A small piece of ginger
- 1/4 tsp of Red chilli powder ( optional )
- 1 tsp of black pepper powder
- 2 tsp of grated cheese
- chopped cilantro
- salt as per taste
- Cook Macaroni in a large pot of salted water as per package instructions. Cook until tender, Rinse in cold water & set aside.
- Boil tomatoes & onion - this takes about 10 minutes.
- Grind together green chillies, tomatoes, onion, ginge, red chilli powder into a smooth with little water
- Heat cheese in a heavy bottomed pan & when it melts, add the ground paste & bring to a boil
- Add macaroni & cook on low flame for another 2 minutes. DO NOT saute vigourously as the macaronis will tend to break
- Add salt as per taste
- Transfer it into a bowl & sprinkle black pepper powder
- Garnish with grated cheese & cilantro
NOTE: You can add more quantity of cheese as per your liking. You could also garnish macaroni with Basil- Fresh/Dried for a different flavour.