October 24, 2008

Punjabi Kadhi-Pakode


Punjabi cuisine is as rich as its culture. Delectable Makki Di Roti & Sarson Da Saag, not to mention the paranthas with spicy pickles & yogurt, or the comforting Rajma Chawal & the tall glass of cold Lassi topped with Cream or Malai, Punjabi cuisine is truly a gastronomic delight

One such Punjabi dish we all love is the Punjabi Kadhi Pakode. Kadhi is a thick gravy of sour yogurt & chickpea flour simmered into a perfect consistency & seasoned with yummy spices. What makes the Punjabi Kadhi unique is the additon of Pakodes/fritters.

Kadhi - Chawal is such a comforting dish that once you get hooked to it, you will yearn for more.
My husband, who is ever fond of yogurt based gravies, just loves kadhi-pakode. We make this whenever we are bored of the regular Dal/Rasam/Sambar stuff ..

Here is how I made it:


Preparation Time: 30 mins

For the Kadhi:

  • Chickpea flour/Besan - 1/2 cup

  • Yogurt - preferably sour - 2 cups

  • Red chilli powder - 1 tsp

  • Turmeric - 1/2 tsp

  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

  • Cumin seeds - 1 tsp

  • Nigella seeds/Kallonji - 1/2 tsp

  • A pinch of Hing/Asafoetida

  • Kasuri Methi/Dry Fenugreek Leaves - 1 tbsp

  • A few curry leaves

  • 2 green chillies

  • salt as per taste

  • oil - 2 tsp

Method:

  • Mix sour yogurt & chickpea flour in a large bowl & make sure no lumps are formed

  • Heat oil in a large wok/kadhai, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds & kallonji

  • Once the seeds pop & splutter, add turmeric, red chilli powder & a pinch of hing

  • Add the chickpea flour & yogurt mixture & cook on very low heat, keep stirring often

  • Add salt & dry fenugreek leaves & mix well. Let it simmer until the mixture is of a custard like consistency. This will take about 25 mins

  • While the kadhi is simmering away to a perfect consistency, Here's how you make the fritters,

For Pakodes/Onion fritters

  • 2 onions - finely chopped

  • 1 cup chickpea flour/besan

  • 2 green chillies - finely chopped

  • 1 tsp - red chilli powder

  • 1 tsp - black pepper powder

  • A pinch of baking soda

  • Salt as per taste

  • Oil for deep frying

Method:

  • Mix all the ingrdients in a large bowl, add about 2 tbsp of water & make a batter. Make sure you add very little water as the batter should be fairy dry

  • Heat oil in a wok, To check if the temprature is right, drop a bit of batter into the oil, if it floats & sizzles on top, its time to fry the pakodes

  • Drop dollops of batter into oil & deep fry until golden brown

Dunk the pakodes into the kadhi & cook fo another 2 minutes.

Just before serving, temper with red/green chillies, a pinch of asafoetida & curry leaves. Close the lid immediately, for the flavours to infuse.

Serve with HOT steamed rice .. Enjoi !!!

62 comments:

jayasree said...

Kadhi looks delicous. Its indeed a welcome change to the usual fare of sambhar/dal.

Priti said...

Kadhi Pakode looking yummy...wow ...would love to eat this kadhi with chawal...

LG said...

Pakodi Kadhi ..I think you had wonderful time devouring it :) Pic looks great Deesha. Have a nice weekend.

Curry Leaf said...

Looks delicious.I love the dish,I did not have the recipe.Yours is too good.

srikars kitchen said...

Wow.. looks yummy dear... Nice click... really tempting..

Nidhi said...

Kadhi pakodi is one of my fav sunday meals. Yours has come out so well. I too make in a very similar way. Yummy!

anudivya said...

Oooh lovely. I have not made this before, but been wanting to.

Bharti said...

A favorite at home..yours looks perfect.

n33ma said...

Kadhi Pakodi looks perfect....good pic too

Happy cook said...

Looks creamy and yumm. I have never made them at home, but rememeber eating them long ago in one of my friends place.

Smitha said...

Love Kadi Pakoda!
Reminds me of the tuesday lunch during my Hostel days in JNU, New Delhi!

Cham said...

Wow, this one look delectable, love Punjab food :)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

I hav never tasted before but hav heard a lot thro my friend!

Jaishree said...

Kadhi Pakode looking yummy.Pic looks great Deesha.

mitr_bayarea said...

Kadhi looks awesome..I've always wanted to make some and now I will, thanks to your recipe.

Usha said...

Sounds delicious...looks perfect.. will give this a try soon ..

Arundhuti said...

hi...pls collect this award for yourself from my blog...u deserve it!

http://gourmetaffair.blogspot.com/2008/10/diwali-festival-of-lights-and-award.html

Uma said...

wow, kadi looks fabulous. Yummy!

Divya Vikram said...

I like punjabi dishes..Looks just delish!

Laavanya said...

Kadhi Pakodi is on my - soon to make list.. perfect for this cold season too. Yours look awesome and tempting.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

Looks rich and delicious Deesha. I love them..

SweetBites said...

khadi pakodi looks so yummy & creamy . i luv anything made with yogurt.

Priya said...

WOW am drooling on kadhi pakode Deesha..

pls collect hardblogger award from my blog .. u deserve it...

http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/10/hard-working-food-blogger-award.html

Ramya said...

Looks delicious...

Kitchen Flavours said...

I heard about this before, but never tried this. Looks gr8. Will try my hands on this soon. Bookmarked.

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow me and my daughter love this khadi so much. I too make this atleast twice in a month or ven ever she ask me.
Yrs s so tempting and good looking.

G.Pavani said...

Hi deesha,mouthwatering kadai. Happy deepavali to you and your family...

Sireesha said...

Kadi Pakoda looks scrumptious:)Its my favorite one....

Yasmeen said...

Deesha,I love the kadi with rice:)
I've an award waiting for you at my blog,please collect:)

Red Chillies said...

Happy Diwali to you and yours Deesha. Kadhi pakodi is my favorite, had it only at restaurants, but never tired at home. Gotta try this.

vidhas said...

I love kadhi. Yours look fabulous. I have not tried black pepper powder in pakodas. Kindly drop in and give your comment.

DEESHA said...

Thanks a lot for passing the award to me ...

sowmya said...

i love this ..looks yummy
Btw.happy diwali!!

Swati said...

Hi Deesha

Kadhi is regular feature in my house..Yours looks great!!

Ramya Bala said...

Hey deepthi
I have only heard abt it n never tried..shud try yaar...
All of u say its yummy...N i shud note it down in my to do list(seeing so many delcious entries..list is so big......)Pics are again too good

PG said...

Kadhi is my favorite too. Looks very delicious!

Prema Sundar said...

Nice looking kadhi pakode.. have n't tried this out and I was thinking abt googling for the recipe. thanks for it.
Wish you a very happy Diwali to you and your family.

PG said...

happy Diwali to you too!

Uma said...

Wishing you and your family a happy diwali!

Gita's Kitchen said...

This dish is new to me and looks so yummy. Thanks for the recipe :)

Dee said...

That looks so lovely! I've never had kadhi, but I've just bookmarked this to try. Thanks!

Sireesha said...

WISHING YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A VERY HAPPY & PROSPEROUS DIWALI DEESHA......

Purva Desai said...

Pakoda Kadhi is my hubby's favourite Kadhi...it looks really tempting with a lovely click
Wishing u and ur family happy diwali..

Maria said...

Never had this before, looks great though!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Happy Diwali, Pakoda are tempting and delectable... I havent tried this recipe before shall definitely try your recipe...

anudivya said...

Happy Deepavali Deesha.

raaji said...

This looks sth great and mouthwaterng.....
Happy Diwali to u and ur family!!!!!!

rekhas kitchen said...

hey there is an award waiting for you in my blog please pick it up

Indranee said...

Lovely mouthwatering recipe...grt!
Wish you a very Happy Diwali!

Archy said...

Happy Deepavali Deesha to U an ur Family !!

Priti said...

Wish you and family Happy and Prosperous Diwali & New Year Deesha....

Sagari said...

delecious looking kadhi deesha

Sujatha said...

Kadi looks awesome! and very appetizing.. Happy Diwali to you Deesha!

Uj said...

Happy Deepavali dear. Kadhi pakode looks yummy

Vibaas said...

looks delicious deesha. i have a punjabi friend who makes awesome and kadhi and i never bothered to take the recipe yet. you are tempting me so much :)

Sara said...

Even the thought of kadhi is mouth-watering..thanx for the great recipe!!

Maria said...

kadhi looks yummy Deesha :)This is one of my fav dishes :)

SriLekha said...

thanks for sharing a delicious recipe!

Kayal said...

Totally new recipe for me....will surely give a try

Sharmi said...

Thanks for visiting. You have a lovely blog. The kadi looks so delicious. very in pic.

Gopi Shah said...

Hey Deesha, ur kadhi looks so yummy!! I also make this type of kadhi with methi pakoda.

Rajimadhavan said...

Wow all ur recipes r yummy ! , loved this kadhi , will try it 4 sure.