Kadhi - Chawal is such a comforting dish that once you get hooked to it, you will yearn for more.
My husband, who is ever fond of yogurt based gravies, just loves kadhi-pakode. We make this whenever we are bored of the regular Dal/Rasam/Sambar stuff ..
Here is how I made it:
Preparation Time: 30 mins
For the Kadhi:
- Chickpea flour/Besan - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt - preferably sour - 2 cups
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Nigella seeds/Kallonji - 1/2 tsp
- A pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
- Kasuri Methi/Dry Fenugreek Leaves - 1 tbsp
- A few curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- salt as per taste
- oil - 2 tsp
- Mix sour yogurt & chickpea flour in a large bowl & make sure no lumps are formed
- Heat oil in a large wok/kadhai, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds & kallonji
- Once the seeds pop & splutter, add turmeric, red chilli powder & a pinch of hing
- Add the chickpea flour & yogurt mixture & cook on very low heat, keep stirring often
- Add salt & dry fenugreek leaves & mix well. Let it simmer until the mixture is of a custard like consistency. This will take about 25 mins
- While the kadhi is simmering away to a perfect consistency, Here's how you make the fritters,
For Pakodes/Onion fritters
- 2 onions - finely chopped
- 1 cup chickpea flour/besan
- 2 green chillies - finely chopped
- 1 tsp - red chilli powder
- 1 tsp - black pepper powder
- A pinch of baking soda
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix all the ingrdients in a large bowl, add about 2 tbsp of water & make a batter. Make sure you add very little water as the batter should be fairy dry
- Heat oil in a wok, To check if the temprature is right, drop a bit of batter into the oil, if it floats & sizzles on top, its time to fry the pakodes
- Drop dollops of batter into oil & deep fry until golden brown
Dunk the pakodes into the kadhi & cook fo another 2 minutes.
Just before serving, temper with red/green chillies, a pinch of asafoetida & curry leaves. Close the lid immediately, for the flavours to infuse.
Serve with HOT steamed rice .. Enjoi !!!