November 17, 2008

Cabbage Dal

I love experimenting with different kinds of Dal/Lentils & vegetables. Since Dal is part of our everyday fare, I keep trying out different combinations to avoid boredom. one such combination that I really liked is Cabbage & Moong Dal.


These two compliment each other perfectly. This is really simple to make. If you guys are bored of your regular Dal Tadka, Go ahead and make this for a change.

Preparation Time: 20- 25 mins

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups cabbage - shredded
  • 1 cup - moong dal
  • 1 onion - finely chopped
  • 1 tomato - finely chopped
  • 1 green chilli - slit lengthwise
  • 1 tsp - red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp - ginger-garlic paste
  • 1 tsp - cumin seeds
  • A handful of curry leaves
  • A pinch of turmeric
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tsp oil

Method:

  • Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, When hot, add cumin seeds, once the seeds pop & splutter, add green chilli, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, curry leaves & saute
  • Add onions & fry until transparent.
  • Throw in chopped tomatoes & add red chilli powder. Cook till oil separates & the raw smell disappears.
  • Add moong dal & saute for a minute
  • Add about 2 cups of water & cover the pan with a lid & let the dal cook for a while. Keep stirring in between.
  • Once the dal is half cooked, add shredded cabbage & add another 2 cups of water.
  • Add salt & mix well, cover the pan again & let it cook. Keep stirring in between. Add additional water, if necessary,
  • When done, check the taste & mix well. Transfer into a bowl.

Serve HOT with rotis or steamed rice. Enjoi !!!

NOTE: The proportion of Dal:Cabbage is entirely upto you. If you want a creamier taste. You could add more of Dal. Or, you could even keep the proportions equal.

48 comments:

Laavanya said...

That looks fabulous.. my mom makes a poriyal with cabbage & mung dhal.. but with no onions- tomatoes.. just seasoned with a sprinkling of coconut.

Shankar said...

This looks perfect for Chapatis. Though Chapatis is not my staple need to change my habits to taste your dhal..

Shankar said...

This looks perfect for Chapatis. Though Chapatis is not my staple need to change my habits to taste your dhal..

Viki Xavier. said...

Hi. This looks yummy.
Just visit me. I have something for u dear.

Usha said...

This looks delicious,I love dishes that combine veggies and dhal....

Bhawana said...

A nice recipe of cabbag. I also made this with whole moong dal... it taste great.

anudivya said...

I normally make it with channa dal, got to try your version!

LG said...

bahala dina aythu nodi ee palya maadi. Tumba dhanyavadagalu nenapisidakke. Kosu bele palya super agi ide :)

Cham said...

We make without the tomato,... very tasty looking

LG said...

Awardgalu ide madam nimge nanna blogalli, banni bega ;)

Curry Leaf said...

This combo is bit new.I try with chana/toor dals,never thght abt this.Looks very tasty.

srikars kitchen said...

wow... looks perfect & yummy....

Kitchen Flavours said...

I too made cabbage and dal. But i used chana dal. Will post the recipe soon. Cabbage dal looks appetizing.

Smitha said...

There is a surprise for you on my blog!!

rekhas kitchen said...

I also do the same way but some times alsothat creamy way love this curry nice pic deesha

Payal Shah said...

Yummy! Great recipe. I will have to try it.

Happy cook said...

I am sure you ar'e glad you expirimented this combo as it looks so yumm

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Ginger and garlic, I have never added this with cabbage shall try it... I can only think of curd rice now with your cabbage dal...

Uma said...

that looks fabulous Deesha! I make the same curry sometimes.

Ramya said...

Pls check out YAAT post at my blog-I have something for you!

Gita's Kitchen said...

The cabbage dhal looks delicious, a good variation from the regular cabbage curry :)

raaji said...

Deesha i too make cabbage the same way except that i use channa dal instaed of moong...looks lovely yeellow

Maria said...

Looks fabulous!!

Shillu said...

My mom used to make it! thank you for reviving my memories :)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

We make this way only but we add grated coconut at end....looks very nice:)

Valarmathi said...

Looks lovely and delicious.

veggie belly said...

yummy recipe! I add as much dal as cabbage. This is great with green beans too.

Sujatha said...

Ginger and garlic is a new addition to me for this dish.. I make a similar one and finish it with some shredded coconut.. Looks lovely!

Divya Vikram said...

Sounds perfect with dhall and rice.

n33ma said...

This is a new combo.....looks nice.

Archy said...

Hey good one.. never tried dal with cabbage.. shall try soon :)!!

Adlak's tiny world said...

The same way i too make this. Nice combo and check out my blog for a treat.

Jaishree said...

The same way i too make this.Nice Pic..looks gr8.

G.Pavani said...

this looks really yummy and it will be perfect for rice

Purva Desai said...

Simple yet delicious sabji, looks really appetizing

Andhra Flavors said...

IT should be tasty with moong dhal.
Collect your award from my blog.

Vibaas said...

Looks yummy deesha. I make it with channadaal.

I have something for you, dear. Pls. check http://vibaas-world.blogspot.com/2008/11/wow-is-all-i-can-say.html

Sunshinemom said...

Looks very tasty! I am used to chana dal in cabbage but moong dal is new to me - something I ought to try!

Shama Nagarajan said...

Yummy recipe....a surprise for u in my blog...http://easy2cookrecipes.blogspot.com/2008/11/capsicum-curry.html

sowmya said...

looks nice..I saw cabbage with channa dal yesterday in someone's blog..this one sounds good too..

sra said...

Deesha, nice dish indeed! We make this with channa dal too, that's tasty too.

PG said...

Such a lovely recipe! when I saw your picture, I also thought that you had used channa daal. But, moong, wow! I feel like trying it with moong sprou1ts now. Will surely try it.

Priti said...

Looks cool....nice try dear

Sheetal Kiran said...

I get bored, very easily, and extremely regularly of the dal-sabzi combo, even if the veggies are different on a daily basis. This is so wonderful, and I really like the warm glow of your dish. Divine!

Navita said...

Really an unsual combo...will try it.
Thanks for stopping by.

SriLekha said...

good recipe to use cabbage in different way
join in the sweet event going in my blog!

Priya said...

My mom used to prepare as similar as urs..looks delicious, btw ur display pic is really eyecatching..lovely..

Food Fanatic said...

looks really good. i will try this for sure. my mom makes sumthing similar but with kaddu (bottle gourd) and chana dal. will post the recipe soon.