I love experimenting with different kinds of Dal/Lentils & vegetables. Since Dal is part of our everyday fare, I keep trying out different combinations to avoid boredom. one such combination that I really liked is Cabbage & Moong Dal.
These two compliment each other perfectly. This is really simple to make. If you guys are bored of your regular Dal Tadka, Go ahead and make this for a change.
Preparation Time: 20- 25 mins
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage - shredded
- 1 cup - moong dal
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1 tomato - finely chopped
- 1 green chilli - slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp - red chilli powder
- 1 tsp - ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp - cumin seeds
- A handful of curry leaves
- A pinch of turmeric
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, When hot, add cumin seeds, once the seeds pop & splutter, add green chilli, ginger garlic paste, turmeric, curry leaves & saute
- Add onions & fry until transparent.
- Throw in chopped tomatoes & add red chilli powder. Cook till oil separates & the raw smell disappears.
- Add moong dal & saute for a minute
- Add about 2 cups of water & cover the pan with a lid & let the dal cook for a while. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the dal is half cooked, add shredded cabbage & add another 2 cups of water.
- Add salt & mix well, cover the pan again & let it cook. Keep stirring in between. Add additional water, if necessary,
- When done, check the taste & mix well. Transfer into a bowl.
Serve HOT with rotis or steamed rice. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: The proportion of Dal:Cabbage is entirely upto you. If you want a creamier taste. You could add more of Dal. Or, you could even keep the proportions equal.