After gorging on all those sinful sweets during Diwali, Its time for some savory treats. Ribbon Pakoda is one such snack that tantalizes the taste buds. Though, Iam not very fond of deep frying, these spicy, crunchy tidbits are well worth the efforts.
There are various versions of making Ribbon Pakodas. The one that I have for you today is the one that my Mom & Grandmom have been following since ages.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup chickpea flour/besan
- 1 tbsp butter - unsaltedred
- 2-3 tsp Red chilli powder
- A generous pinch asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix together all above ingredients except oil in a large bowl
- Add water to the mixture & knead well to form a soft non-sticky dough
- Meanwhile. Heat oil in a wide saucepan for deep frying
- Place a small portion of the dough inside a Murukku Maker, squeeze into hot oil & make a big circle. DO NOT overcrowd the pan
- Deep fry till golden brown
- Place them on absorbent towels to soak up excess oil
- Store them in air-tight containers & when completely cool
Enjoy with HOT Tea/Coffee or whenever you feel like munching on to something !!!
Here is what a Murukku Maker looks like :
NOTE: Other versions call for using either equal quantities of rice flour & chickpea flour or reversing the proportions used here. Feel free to adjust the proportions as per your taste.