I love rice & I am a complete one-pot meal person. Vegetable Biryani is one such dish that I'd love to indulge in ocassionally. Infused with a lot of vegetables & Indian herbs & fresh spices, its one of the finest representatives of Indian cuisine.
As with any popular recipe, there are several versions of preparing Biryani. I myself have three versions of this dish which is make alternately.
The one that I have for you today is the simplest & easiest of the three. I usually make this version when I need to whip up a good meal in a hurry. The other version is that of my mother's which I grew up with & is a family favourite. I shall be posting that soon.
The list of ingredients is a little long. Don't be petrified by looking at the list. It's fairly simple to make.
Here is how I made it,
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- Basmati/Long grained rice - 1 1/2 cups
- A pinch of saffron dissolved in a tbsp of warm milk
- 2 red onions - sliced into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper - cubed
- 1 carrot - cut into long strips
- 2 potatoes - cubed
- 1/2 cup french beans - cut into long strips
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 green chillies - slit length wise
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- A small stick of cinnamon
- 4 -5 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Salt as per taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- Wash rice in several changes of water. soak in water for 30 mins
- Pressure cook the rice with saffron in 1 1.2 cups of water. Oncc done, spread rice on a large tray & let it cool completely.
- Heat Oil in a heavy bottomed pan, Add cumin seeds & let it pop & splutter
- Add ginger-garlic paste, Bay leaves , turmeric & green chillies
- Add green cardamoms, cinnamon sick, cloves, star anise, peppercorns & saute for a while.
- Add onions & saute till they turn transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes & saute for a while.
- Add all the dry powders except kitchen king masala & garam masala
- Saute till oil separates.
- Add potatoes & carrots & cook till almost done.
- Add french beans & cauliflower florets & cook till tender. At this stage you may require more oil for cooking.
- Add green bell pepper & green peas & saute until tender
- Add yogurt & mix well. bring it to a boil. Add Garam Masala, kitchen king masala & salt as per your taste
- Add cooked rice, squeeze lemon juice. Mix well & garnish with chopper cilantro
Serve with onion raita or any gravy of your choice. Enjoi !!!
I thoroughly enjoyed playing around with the spices & inhaling the aroma that emanated from the kadhai . . .
We enjoyed this with simple onion raita & Spicy Potato Wedges on the side. We licked our plates clean & put a delicious end to a great day ! ! !
This goes to Srivalli's Rice Mela ! !