December 23, 2008

Sookhi Gobi - Dry Cauliflower Curry

I love vegetables & cauliflower is a huge favorite with me. I just love the very sight of fresh cauliflowers in the market & the very thought of eating those florets, in whichever way delights me.

At my In-laws place, we never buy cauliflower. For some strange reason, my MIL hates using cauliflower in her cooking. It was very shocking for someone like me who ate copius amounts of cauliflower But, Cauliflower is one of the must haves in my pantry. I add it to most dishes, from Upma to Khichdi to Pulaos to Gravies to almost anything that it fits into.


My favorite way of serving cauliflower is this simple stir fry that my mum has been making since ages. Unlike my husband who loves Aloo Gobi, I love this one, mainly because I grew up with this.

This recipe is from Northen India, where cauliflower is used in abundance. This is a very basic recipe & very easy to put together. Hope you like it too,

Preparation Time
: 20 minutes

Ingredients
:
  • 2 cups of even sized cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder ( more if you want a bit more heat )
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • A pinch of Garam masala (optional)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
Method:
  • Heat oil in a large skillet. When hot, add cumin seeds, when the seeds pop & splutter, add grated ginger, coriander powder, turmeric & red chilli powder. Saute for about 30 seconds on low heat. Do Not burn them.
  • Add cauliflower florets & saute until each floret is well coated with spices. This takes about a couple of minutes.
  • Add very little water & salt as per taste, & cover with a lid for 5 minutes. Let the cauliflower cook on mediun flame. Keep sauting at regular intervals to avoid the florets from getting burnt.
  • Add green peas & mix well. Close the lid again. If necessary add a little bit of water at this stage. Let it cook again.
  • When the cauliflower florets & peas are well cooked( This should take about 15 minutes) thrown in a pinch of garam masala & add lemon juice. Mix well.
Serve HOT with Rotis/Rice. Enjoi !!!

NOTE
: Do Not over cook the cauliflower florets. If overcooked, it tends to get mushy. The florets must retain their crunch

The cauliflower was perfectly cooked with just the right amount of crunch. We enjoyed this mildly spiced curry with some HOT steamed Rice & Dal. It really did make a wonderful side dish with, the otherwise plain Dal.

My trip was postponed by a bit & I had enough time to post another favorite recipe of mine. Iam off for a holiday, the day after. I still haven't started packing & I am happily blogging away my blues, sitting in front of my laptop. I think Iam just Crazy, But I totally enjoy doing things at the last moment, a trait I picked from my husband :)

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas & a Very Happy New Year. Have loads of fun :) Will see you guys real soon.

Chao :)

67 comments:

Usha said...

Looks delicious,love simple curries such as this one...happy holidays, enjoy your trip and a very Happy New year to you too :-)

Sharmi said...

my cauliflower always goes sloppy:( nice picture!

Archy said...

Even i like this simple dish, looks so nice, tempting picture..
Enjoy ur trip !!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

wow what a lovely bowl of curry. looks great. happy holidays!

anudivya said...

I love cauliflower too... you have great photography skills. It looks impeccable.

Preety said...

picture look veryyyyyyy tempting..yummmy

Gopi Shah said...

ur curry looks perfect!!I always try to get crunchy but not successful. I will try with ur recipe one more time.

sowmya said...

nice vibrant colour..very tempting..

Uj said...

Looks yummy. I too love this combination better than with Potato. I was wondering what to fix for dinner with phulka. I guess I am going to make this tonight :D
Have a great holiday. I love packing at the last minute and my in- laws are always worried with that :D

Gita's Kitchen said...

The cauliflower looks very colorful. Enjoy your trip dear. Wishing You a Very Happy New Year :)

Bharti said...

All time anytime kinda food! Happy 2009 to you.

Curry Leaf said...

Perfect Gobi.I love gobi and use it in a variety of ways.Love this dish.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS,MERRY XMAS,HAPPY NEW YEAR & COME BACK SOON WITH A VARIETY OF DISHES

Neha said...

such a nicely arranged n tempting bowl of curry. Gr8 snap
In my case its just the opp., i like it with potato, n my hubby with peas..:), in anyways gobhi is always yum to eat.
Wish u a merry X-mas n happy holidays....

Red Chillies said...

ha ha Deesha in regards to doing things the last minute. Have fun time during your trip, girl!

I love cauliflower too (next only to cabbage of course). Looks delish.

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow this curry looks simply superb. Something new and spicy to me. Have Happy Holidays.

TBC said...

A nice and easy preparation. You make it look so darn good!:)
Lovely pic.

Shama Nagarajan said...

cauliflower my all time fav....lovely

SriLekha said...

will surely try this recipe!
looks colorful!
join in the savory event going in my blog!

Shreya said...

Such perfect looking cauliflower florets! Love the dish, though I usually make it with potatoes added.

rekhas kitchen said...

nice cauliflower recipe looks so delicious nice color

Keerthana said...

Nice picture:) have a nice vacation and a happy new year! i have added u to my blog roll:)

AnuSriram said...

That looks delicious! Happy holidays!

Sara said...

Yum, we eat a lot of cauliflower in my house, I have an orange cauliflower in the fridge right now.

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

That is a nice recipe. Sounds like quick fix. Nicely presented... YUM!

Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!

Supriya Raman said...

YUM!

Happy holidays, have a great vacation!!

Laavanya said...

That dish looks picture perfect - too good to dig in actually. I, like you, love this veggie. Have a fun vacation.

Smitha said...

Hey Deesha! Good to see you so soon!!

Gobi looks delicious! I am a Gobi lover too.. i can devour an entire head of gobi in a single day!

Madhu said...

What a lovely Pic and Prefectly cooked gobis.

Uma said...

mmm. the curry looks wonderful. Yummy! Happy Holidays!

Jaishree said...

Gobi looks delicious!lovely Pic deesha:)Happy Holidays& Merry christmas..

Anonymous said...

Gobi looks amazing...Thanks for introducing tasty dishes in simpler ways...Happy Holidays

Anonymous said...

Gobi looks amazing...Thanks for introducing tasty dishes in simpler ways...Happy Holidays

Cham said...

My mom hates too because of worms! Look amazing ur picture and recipe too

Sanghi said...

Nice dish Deesha.. Have a card for you in my blog. Do check it out!

Vij said...

Simple yummy post!
Wish you a happy new year! May all your dreams come true.

cheers
Vij

Sheetal Kiran said...

Looks yum Deesha ... and I love the use of ginger, it compliments cauliflower so well! Love the photograph too.

Premyscakes said...

They look perfect and great shot too.
Wish u a very happy new year.

Adlak's tiny world said...

Immaculate pic... love those, always our favrt.. Happy holidays and prosperous NewYear dear....

notyet100 said...

this one is regular at our home specially during winters....ur version looks nice,...hppy holidays...nd come back soon...;-)

sra said...

Happy New Year!

Cynthia said...

Happy New Year!

Sunshinemom said...

Back from a vacation and too lazy to cook - can you just pass me that dish? I will make rotis if possible! Happy New Year:)

Purva Desai said...

Its a comfort food for me, have it with rice and dal or simple roti it tastes amazing...

Wishing you Happy and Prosperous New Year!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Cooked to perfection!!
Happy New Year to you deesha!

notyet100 said...

wish u happy nd prosperous new yr,..come bck soon,..

Ramya Bala said...

the picture says it all ;)looks yummy

Simran said...

What a lovely looking gobhi dish!

Enjoy your holidays and hope you have a fabulous 2009

Cham said...

Happy New Year to u and ur family !

Shillu said...

Happy New Year to you and your family

sriharivatsan said...

First time to your blog..Lovely pictures and delicious dishes..

Wish you a very happy new year and happy holidays..

SriLekha said...

Happy New Year!

Anisheetu said...

Hi dear Happy new year to you and your family... check the award page on my blog some awards are waiting for u.. congrats...

Mrs.Kannan said...

Gobi looks sooo yummyy..and colorful.

Mandira said...

Happy New Year to you and your family! the cauliflower looks great.

Vibaas said...

Happy New Year, Deesha. Lovely pic. Looks too tempting.

Navita said...

u have a great place.
Loved reading a couple of your posts.

M new on blogosphere...so if u cud swing by sometime, wud luv to show u around!

Indranee said...

Perfectly yummy recipe!Looks great!

Trupti said...

gobi looks very delicious..nice color & nice photo

Uj said...

Hey made this last night for dinner. Tasted yum. Made some minor changes as in added jeera coriander powder and garnished with chopped coriander leaves. :) tasted divine. Thanks for the recipe

Sanghi said...

Looks yummmy...!
Do check my new blog at http://www.sanghi-worldfoodtreat.blogspot.com and leave ur comments.

veggie belly said...

What a beautiful color on the cauliflower! Looks deliscious!

vidhas said...

Happy new yar Deesha, I also love cauliflower, looks so tempting.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lew said...

OK, so this is my first attemt at a curry dish.
Al I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!
I used Spice Island's spicy curry powder added a little aextra red papper flakes, cashews, and finished the last minute with a pinch of brown sugar to work with the extra heat.
thanks for the recipe!
Lew