January 13, 2009

Bhindi Fry / Okra Fry

With the New Year furore dying down, Iam back to my old self. Yes, like every other year, I did make some new year resolutions & like every other year, I convinently gave them up. After all , How can one turn over a new leaf, overnight?? Isn't it ?? ( I know I know, Lame excuses ) Well, Actually, I love my old self & so does my husband :D (assuming of course !!! )
Do bring on your experiences with the resolution this time ( I will smile a little on the inside, Always good to have some company :D )


I really haven't posted anything in a while. I have been feeling extremely lazy to blog. I did open up my laptop last night, but I really didn't know what to write ( I wonder if this happens to you guys too ) But, today I didn't let my laziness get the better of me & have come up with something I really like - An all time favorite, Bhindi Fry.

Ever since I remember, I have loved okra. I really do not know if eating Okra makes you sharper, but I insisted that my mom makes dishes with okra more often during exam times.(Now, don't laught at me. Iam sure you guys would have done some crazy stuff too ) Anyways, that really did not help me get good grades in Math. Nevertheless, Exam or no Exam, I love Okra & so does Shankar.

I often find myself making Bhindi Fry as it is rather easy to dish out & it goes really well with Rotis, Dal & rice. I like my Bhindi Fry a littly tangy Here's how I made it,

Preparation Time: 25 mins

Ingredients:

  • 400g Okra - cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large red onion - finely chopped
  • 1 large tomato - finely chopped
  • 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
  • 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 2 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp amchur powder(dry mango )/ 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • salt as per taste
  • 3 tbsp oil

Method:

  • Heat 2 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan & add okra. Saute them on medium flame until the sliminess is reduced & the okra is half cooked. Transfer into a bowl & keep aside.
  • Heat another tsp oil in the pan, Add cumin seeds, once the seeds splutter, ass ginger-garlic paste & chopped onions, Saute until the onions turn pinkish
  • Add chopped tomatoes & red chilli powder. Cook until the raw smell disappears & oil separates.
  • Add the half cooked okra & mix well. Add Salt as per taste & let it cook on low flame until okra gets completely cooked. This should take less than 5 minutes.
  • Throw in the Garam masala, Kitchen king masala, amchur powder/lemon juice. ( I used lemon juice ) Mix well & serve.

Serve HOT with Rotis/Rice & Dal .. Enjoi !!

34 comments:

Sara said...

I love okra, but it's hard to find good recipes that use it. I'll have to give this a try!

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

I would do anything for okra. seriously. i love it more than anything in this world. hehe.

looks very yummy Deesha. awesome pic.

Archy said...

Hey, was searching for a okra recipe, got it here, they look nice.. wonderful pic Deesha !!

Smitha said...

Hey Deesha,

You must thrilled about going back to Bangalore! I am just waiting for my turn...
By the way I broke my new year resolution last Friday, had a big cookie and a brownie! Today as well I had a brownie, looks like I will have one more before i hit the sack!

You are definitely not the only one there, at least I am very much with you..

Last but not the least, I love Okras, I can eat tonnes of them and they look great in the picture. Yum yum...

anudivya said...

I have those lazy-to-blog days every now and then... I just let it pass, don't force myself to do anything I am not in a mood to. I bet it happens with everyone. So chill.

anudivya said...

I have those lazy-to-blog days every now and then... I just let it pass, don't force myself to do anything I am not in a mood to. I bet it happens with everyone. So chill.

Cham said...

Love okra in any form looks very delectable

sriharivatsan said...

Awesome Picture Dheesa..Even I am made to eat Okra during Maths examinations..Haha..Your words reminded me of those days..Coming to the point, Okra fry looks inviting..

Gita's Kitchen said...

Lovely color Deesha, a different dish for me, will give it a try :)

LG said...

naanu prati varsha resolution murithini so I am all with you on that fact. Interestingly even I used to ask mom to make bhindi during exams for the same reason LOL...I love bhindi in any kind of curry, they look yum in the pic. Lazy days for blogging it has bitten me recently after I spoilt myself holidaying for a month.

Indhu said...

Hi Deesha,
the okra curry looks awesome. Okra is my most favourite vefetable in the whole world :)
it is supposed to help with math exams - a myth I choose to believe in :)

rekhas kitchen said...

hi okra fry looks so tempting nice pic I use tamaring in this curry for a tangy taste hummm i dont like okra that much coz my hubby s alltime fav.

Preety said...

Okra is my fav of all veggies since childhood..i make it the same way the only difference is i don't add ginger or garlic in my dish..yours looks awesome

sowmya said...

I love bhindi masala and my hubby is so very fond of it too..looks really good..

Sharmila said...

It happens to me too Deesha .. even when the snaps are ready I do not feel like writing anything .. so just sit back and chill. :-)
I love okras .. and do not even go to the extent of chopping up onions and tomatoes .. just fry the okras in a little oil with salt and tumeric. :-)

Kitchen Flavours said...

My sis is bhendi lover.... She can have it 365 days. This version looks spicy and yummy.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Love okra in any form,this one sounds good!

aquadaze said...

oh i love bhindi, and love it tangy! yours looks mouth-watering.

Uj said...

Love bhindi.. Unfortunately we don't get it here so miss it even more! Yours look very tempting :)

Dershana said...

Hi Deesha, how are you? the okra dish looks so green and scrunchy.

Happy new year.

Priti said...

Well I too wonder what to write ..and that's most of time !...Gud to have company now ;)...Bindi is as usual gud...any time of the day

Happy cook said...

I am not a okra fan, this looks yummy though.

Laavanya said...

I love bhindi fry.. my mom had me convinced too that eating bhindi will make my a math genious :)

rajini said...

hi
i love okra
but didnt with tomato
thanks for the recipe

Jaishree said...

Okra curry looks awesome& yummy pic looks tempting deesha:)

SriLekha said...

that looks really yum!

Pallavi said...

I love okra too! I've never really tried it with the amchoor powder, I have some okra at home, might try it tonight.

Usha said...

Okra is one of my favorites..bhindi fry looks very yum :-)

AnuSriram said...

I like bhindi fry.. Your's looks super delicious!

Maya said...

I like almost anything with bhindi. Ya, I take a blogging back-seat more often than I do blog...So, you do have company girl..

Adlak's tiny world said...

wow dheesha... lovely bindi curry.. its my family's fvart,, particularly my gal craze abt vendakkai in any version.

Red Chillies said...

Ah, no resolutions here as I am notorious for not keeping them.
I love bhindi and any variation is welcome.

Nithya Praveen said...

wonderful pic Deesha,my husband loves Okras....inviting:-)

Anjum said...

u have a nice recipe of cooking okra...i loved the picture...is adding king masala a must??