January 7, 2009

Kichuri Comfort

I hope all of you had a wonderful start with the new year. This time, it was just the two of us on new year's eve waiting for the New Year to usher in, very very different from all those noisy parties that we would attend all these years. I really do hope this new year brings some cheer to the slowdown.

We were on much needed holiday & we had some wonderful time together. It really did bring the cheer back on Shankar's face. We are all rejuvenated & ready to be back to the grind.

After weeks of eating those unhealthy, bland & greasy food, we were really craving for some home made food. It really did see that it was ages since we had some Rice & Dal. Back home, we have been enjoying some authentic Indian food, particularly this & this.



I have this tendency of feeling home-sick rather fast, & the first thing I start missing is the comfort of home made food. When you start craving for the bowl of rice or rotis, even a warm bowl of pasta or the most delicious slice of pizza can satisfy those cravings.

In my opinion, Kichuri is one of the finest examples of comfort food. It is rather easy to put together & calls for the simplest of ingredients & is very very soothing on your tummy.

This is how I made my bowl of comfort

Preparation Time: 30 Mins

I used:
  • 1 cup rice - any variety
  • 1 cup Masoor Dal/Red Lentils
  • 1 onion - finely chopped
  • 2 tomatoes - chopped
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1/2 cup french beans - chopped
  • 1 carrot - diced
  • 1 potato - diced
  • 1 green bell pepper - diced
  • A handful of green peas - fresh/frozen
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 green chillies
  • 2 pods of garlic
  • A small piece of ginger - grated
  • A handful of curry leaves
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tsp Desi Ghee/clarified butter ( substitute with vegetable/sunflower oil )
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • A Pinch of garam Masala
  • A handful of chopped cilantro - for garnishing

Method:

  • Heat ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add cumin seeds, once they crackle, add green chillies, curry leaves, garlic pods, grated ginger & saute for about 10 secs
  • Add chopped onions & turmeric powder & saute till onions are browned.
  • Add chopped tomatoes & potatoes & saute for a minute.
  • Add rice & dal & add enough water to cook. Add salt & close the lid. Keep stirring in at regular intervals.
  • When it is half done, throw in the rest of the vegetables & add some more water & red chilli powder.
  • Let it cook on medium flame, Keep adding water as per requirement.
  • Keep stirring at regular intervals till the rice & lentils are completely cooked. They should have a semi-solid consistence.
  • Adjust salt, add lemon juice & Garam Masala & garnish with chopped cilantro.

Drizzle some desi Ghee on top (highly recommended) & Serve HOT with some fresh yogurt/pickle/Papad. Enjoi !!!

We devoured ours with some spicy mango pickle. My Dad makes the best kichuri ever, & it did rekindle those fond memories when he served us bowls of kichuri filled with warmth & love & ofcourse I did put a soothing end to our cravings.

Note:
  • I like my kichuri rather runny so I add more water. If you do not want it to be runny, reduce the quantity of water.
  • I you feel the dish has turned out rather thick, Add some more water & heat it up. This dish is rather forgiving that way .
  • You can prepare this with a pressure cooker too. If you are a little short on time or rather busy with things, use a pressure cooker. I personally prefer the stove top method. Watching the kichuri cooking up & the fragrance the emanates from the pot is pure bliss.
  • You can vary the proportion of Rice:Dal. You can either make it 1:2 or 2:1. Its entirely up to you.
  • You can pretty much use any combination of vegetables. If you are a little short on vegetables, this tastes great with only onions & tomatoes too.
This goes to SunshineMom's FIC-Yellow.

56 comments:

Happy cook said...

It looks like a real comfort food.
Love the colour of the dish and the pic.
Happy 2009 to you and your loved ones.

Usha said...

Khichdi is the ultimate comfort food, looks delicious ! Happy New Year to you and your family , have a wonderful 2009 :-)

Sharmila said...

I too love runny khichuri. :-)
You have made yours healthy too with so many veggies in it.
Have a great new year! :-)

Asha said...

Excellent looking dish, healthy as well. Good one Deesha! :))

sowmya said...

perfect comfort food..

Curry Leaf said...

Healthy.I love the combo of dal and veggies and rice.I was sceptical at first,but has started loving it.Perfect for winter.Ultimate comfort food

Gita's Kitchen said...

I wanted to try one for quite sometime. The picture looks great, thanks for sharing the recipe Deesha :)

Arundhuti said...

i love khichuri....ur pic looks great!

Smitha said...

Happy new year Deesha, good to see you back..
I prefer my Khichdi to be runny as well... it us just so much more comforting that way,even as my fasting tummy rumble.Thanks to Vaikunta ekadashi. Now I guess I am gonna make Khicdi for breaking the fast tonight.

Cham said...

My husb calls this rice satur lunch, pretty much i make the same one every satur without getting bored! Looks divine! Happy New Year!

notyet100 said...

u r right ,..khichdi is the perfect comfort food,..;-)

AnuSriram said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Happy new year to you.

PG said...

a sweet post. A very Happy New Year to you! Hope it brings you both joy, health and fulfills all your wishes for this year!
Although my kitchdi looks a bit different, but it is THE comfort food, no doubt!
Yours looks wonderful!

Madhu said...

One pot rice dishs are always comforting, we too crave fro some rice and rasam after our vacation.
Beautiful pics Deesha.

Suma Rajesh said...

woo..this looks colourful and great..

LG said...

such a comfort dish Deesha. Pic is drool worthy. Nice one :)

sriharivatsan said...

Am a new blogger and all your recipies are mouthwatering ones..Khichuri makes me hungry now..Do visit my blog when you find time..

Archy said...

Wow, looks so nice with tempting pic an nice color.. It is a comfort food,
Happy New year 2009 !!

Adlak's tiny world said...

Warm welcome back to blogging Deesha.. Happy New Year to u..

Y this bowl still waiting... i have already decided to take it for me....

Soma said...

THis is my first time in your place. what a lovely blog u have.

I am glad to be back too, after all that holiday food & cooking. this is really a comfort healthy food. I love my khichuris runny too, kind of like all over the place:-)

BTW: "Kichuri" is a so typically bengali word...

Malar Gandhi said...

Looks great.

Sanghi said...

Superb click Deesha! Lovely recipe! Do check my new blog.. :)

rekhas kitchen said...

like every time superb click dear looks so yummy i never use masoordal for khichuri i use moong dal will try masoor and see nexttime thanks for sharing it

Pavithra Kodical said...

Interesting and mouthwatering recipe..Nice click too :)

Vij said...

gr8 pic! mouther-watering presentation.

Jaishree said...

Deesha, good to see you back..Khichdi is the Healthy comfort food.. ur pic looks great!

Jaya said...

wish you a very happy new year Deesha..
and you know my dad also loves to cook khichuri for us , well i still crave for that ..
this looks really delicious ..and I must admit we also love to add ghee on top ...
hugs and smiles

Uma said...

delicious kichuri! looks so mouth-watering. Happy New Year!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Happy New Year dear. Simply superb recipe. With all those yummy ingredients recipe rocks dear.

Yasmeen said...

Comforting start of the new year with the lovely khichdi.Hope you have a healthy new year:)

Keerthana said...

This reminds me of Bisi bele baath of karnataka:) i loved the addition of desi ghee. looks very yummy!

anudivya said...

Love your pics as always.. you have an eye for beautiful clicks...

Paru ... said...

Looks very nutritious..Great recipe..

Priti said...

Happy New Year to u too dear...Me too spend the new year same way like yours...and khichdi looks gud

Nithya Praveen said...

Hey Deesha...this looks very nice.Are they also called "Kichuri"? I've only known this as Kichdi.Watever the name is...its very tempting.

Dibs said...

My favourite lunch time dish! I use a pressure cooker, and its so perfect for a healthy wholesome meal!

jayasree said...

Perfect one dish meal. Yours look mouthwatering. Loved the color. Its very tempting.

Premyscakes said...

It is real comfort and healthy meal.

Sharmi said...

Yes its a true comfort food! well captured!

Vanamala said...

Nice recipe ..infact new to me..will try

Maya said...

yor khichuri looks very inviting..it is indeed confort food..

Deepa Hari said...

Kichuri looks great...Nice presentation.

Happy new year!

sunshinemom said...

Deepthi, this bowl looks so inviting! I made its cousin today - Bisibelebath:)

Thank you for sending it to FIC - I did not need the glasses. These are bright yellow and tasty!

Preety said...

my mom use to make khichri whenever someone in the family is not feeling well but looking at your bowl i can have it as a main course also..

aquadaze said...

I totally agree with you, kichuri is the ultimate comfort food, easy to put together and completely satisfying. Your pix are absolutely lovely!

vidhas said...

Yes , I love this ultimate comfort food. Yours looks soo.. tempting and awesome click.

Shankar said...

Nice snap... I wonder sometimes whether you cook for me or for your blog. Everything to gain anyways..Gimme more

Roochi said...

That's a great comment by Shankar. Just great pic and I love the recipe. We can eat a lot lot when such delicious food is cooked regularly... Deesha U Rock

DK said...

Nothing like Masoor dal pulao which is what I would call this rice. hearty and nutritious - a complete soul food.

DK said...

O yes! Now that u told me - I do remember something to the effect of Vadai's with holes being made for death ceremony! I think thats why! Its sad that such beautiful masterpieces have this attached to them :)

Will update this info in my post though :) :)

Andhra Flavors said...

looks delicious.love the dish.

Vidhya said...

looks really yummy and inviting picture...

Laavanya said...

I love this but hardly make it coz my husband's not a big fan.. That bowlful of tasty kichuri in the picture has me salivating.

SriLekha said...

looks yummy!

Uj said...

Love kichuri's anytime.. I like mine to runny.. :) minus ghee of course.. some how do not like ghee but hubby dear loves to pour some :)Yours look even more healthy with addition of veggies

Madhuram said...

I've nevery cooked masoor daal with rice. That combination is new, especially with vegetables and all. Nice healthy one pot meal. As I have mentioned before in my previous comments, the pictures are wonderful/perfect.