March 13, 2009

Chettinad Vegetable Biryani

Firstly, a BIG Thank You to all of you, who took the time to stop by and wish us on our Special Day. Shankar read them too. Thanks for showering such generous good wishes & love on us, we do appreciate this very much.

Now, lets get going with what, I really love writing about, I guess by now, all of you know my undying love for one pot meals. They are really quick & tasty & makes a great option for weekday lunch/dinner.


As every food enthusiast would probably do, I have about 3 -4 versions of making a Biryani, the Chettinad variety being a recent additon to my ever expanding palette.

Chettinad Cuisine offers some really fiery & ultra spicy combination of spices which takes on a whole new dimension & makes you relish every bit of it. I bet, this will leave you asking for more.

I discovered this in the unlikeliest of places, Goa. Not so long ago, we were holidaying in Goa & we went to this small little restaurant by the beach. After gorging on junk food all day, I really was in mood for some rice. Not expecting too much, I ordered Chettinad Veg Biryani, thinking Goa wouldn't be a place for Chettinad cuisine. And, Boy how wrong could I be? The Biryai looked & smelled gorgeous & tasted great. That was my first ever brush with Chettinad cuisine.

I really wasn't into serious cooking back then, so I forgot all about it. I wanted to try this out ever since I statred this blog.

Here it is, very close to the one I had in Goa but quite not the same, nevertheless a yummy one ..

This list of ingredients is a little long, but its well worth the efforts.

Hope you guys enjoy this as much as we did

You Will Need:
  • Basmati Rice - 1 1/2 cups
  • 2 red onions chopped finely
  • 3 tomatoes - blanched & pureed
  • 1 carrot - cut into thin sticks
  • 1 potato - peeled & cut into thin sticks
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1 green bell pepper - chopped
  • 1/2 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
  • 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp Garam masala
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp Desi ghee/oil
  • Chopped cilantro/fresh coriander - for garnish
  • 2 tsp lemon juice

To Grind:

  • 1 small red onion
  • 2 tbsp grated coconut - fresh/frozen
  • 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 4-5 dry red chillies
  • 2 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 2 tsp fennel seeds/saunf
  • A small stick of cinnamon
  • 4 cloves
  • 4-5 black peppercorns
  • 4 green cardamoms
  • 1 star anise
Method:
  • Clean Basmati rice in sevefral changes of water. Drain & keep aside for about 15 minutes. Heat a tsp of ghee in a frying pan & fry the rice till fragrant. This takes about a minute. Pressure cook rice or cook on stove top with water in the proportion of 1:1 or 1:1.25 depending on the quality of rice, such that each grain is separate. Set aside & allow it to cool completely.
  • Grind all the ingredients mentioned in the list into a smooth paste adding little water.
  • Heat Ghee in a large wok, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, turmeric powder & green chillies. allow them to sizzle & add chopped onions. Fry onions till they turn pink.
  • Add chopped carrots, potatoes & saute for a while. When half done add cauliflower florets, bell peppers & green peas one by one until cooked. The vegetables should retain their crunch.
  • Add pureed tomatoes & bring the mixture to a boil. Add lemon juice & salt as per taste.
  • Add rice & Garam Masala & fluff with fork & garnish with chopped cilantro.

Serve with any Raita of your choice. Enjoi !!!

NOTE: You can even add store bought Chettinad Masala powder instead of grinding the ingridients. Blend onion, grated coconut & the store bought masala into a paste & you will be good to go.

71 comments:

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow superb flavourful and aromatic biryani...

Neha said...

Quite a flavourful biryani, i too love one pot meals...

Madhumathi said...

Wow!Biryani looks mouthwatering..I could smell the aroma of the briyani here :)

Asha said...

Excellent! I was always looking looking for Chettinad Biryani, looks as I expected and fabulous ingredients. Thanks for posting Deesha, hugs! :)

Yasmeen said...

Love the loads of veggies in the biryani:)

vidhas said...

Deesha, Biriyani looks yum. My husband's favourite. surely will give a try.

Priya said...

Quite a delicious dish...Looks too gorgeous...

Arundathi said...

that biryani looks fabulous. i hardly ever see good looking vegetable biryani! yum!

Laavanya said...

I've not tasted Chettinad biryani before but just reading the ingredients tells how special this is going to be.

Sara said...

I love the way this looks, so colorful! I'm sure it tastes amazing too.

luckysanjana said...

Hey that sure looks like my kind of biryani really spicy......I just made a vegetable biryani for holi........come and check it out if you like......

Trupti said...

Deesha, I never tried this biryani but biryani looks very mouthwatering.

Priti said...

Umm looks yum Disha dear...hope you had gud day celebrating your anniversary..

Happy cook said...

Just looking to the plate i can taste the delicious biriyani, now you are making me drool for them.

sowmya said...

looks spicy and so yumm

Usha said...

Wow this biryani sounds absolutely flavorful, will definitely try !

Jaya said...

this is very delicious and I want that bowl of biryani now ...
one pot meals are always so filling , my kind of food ..
belated warm wishes for anniversay..
hugs and smiles

Deepa Hari said...

Yum...Biryani looks spicy and perfect...i can smell the aroma here.

Cham said...

Very aromatic and spicy ur birayani, good recipe!

Ashwini said...

Love biryanis..Can smell the aroma of it:-)..The color looks so inviting and mouth watering..

Mangala Bhat said...

hey Nice recipe ...looks very spicy and taatsy ..new recipe to me will try this sometime :)

Gita's Kitchen said...

The briyani looks awesome Deesha :)

Sathya Sankar said...

Biryani looks wonderful deesha, nice colour !

Varsha Vipins said...

Better late than never..Belated anniversary wishes to both of u..:)
The biriyani looks delish n spicy!!..am on hunt for chettinad Masala from now on..:D

n33ma said...

hmmmm looks so tasty and spicy.Bookmarked!

Lavanya said...

I like any dish belongs to chettinad..your biryani looks yummy!!

AnuSriram said...

Chettinad is always known for the spicy masalas.. Your biriyani looks fabulous! I can imagine how heavenly it would have tasted! Hmmmm!

A_and_N said...

Now thats what I call SPICY! Lots of spices :) I think thats a signature of Chettinad food no?

Indhu said...

the ingredient list made me drool :)
am sure it must have tasted awesome - will try this one for sure :)

Sanghi said...

A very spicy treat Deesha! Lovely click too!!:)

Vibaas said...

that looks spicy and awesome! :)

Smitha said...

Lip smacking dish:)

Sujatha said...

Chettinad briyani is one of my favorites.. Nothing can beat that nice authentic flavor! Yours looks great, Deesha!

And belated wishes for a very happy anniversary!

rekhas kitchen said...

looks spicy an so mouthwatering yum

Poornima Nair said...

That looks awesome...lovely colour...sounds delicious.

Daily Meals said...

Wow! Biryani looks colourful and yummy...

Arch said...

Looks really yum...chettinad masala adds a real zing to any dish..thanks for sharing

Shama Nagarajan said...

deesha..ur click make to have it at once...........yummy

Aparna Inguva said...

You had me at Chettinad!!! Love the flavours and loaded veggies. Click looks great too.

meeso said...

Goodness that looks and sounds like It's full of flavor! I am definitely bookmarking this!

Suma Rajesh said...

biriyani looks soooooooo tempting and awesome...wish u belated hppy anniversarytoo..hope u guys hd a blast..

Sushma said...

Had tasted this once in one of the Chettinad Resturants in Indiranagar, Bangalore. Biryani looks yum, seems like it is time for me to try soon :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

very new to me..looks very delicious and tempting enuf to try.

Priya Sriram said...

Chettinad biryani is new to me and looks delicious!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Looks great! I am literally mouthwatering!!

Anisheetu said...

Wow wonderful briyani... it looks mouth watering....

Food Fanatic said...

mmmm my mouth watered!

Uma said...

looks gorgeous Deesha! Lovely biryani.

Smitha said...

Looks perfect must be perfect with all the wonderful spices :)

Anonymous said...

Hi...u have not mentioned at what point the paste should be added in biryani.

Gayathri said...

very delicious entry.

Valarmathi said...

Very good biryani and looks colorful.

Raaga said...

I have to book mark this... always in need of a good vegetable biryani recipe.

Rachel said...

A good veg biriyani is hard to come by...yours looks very scrumptious.

Sharmila said...

I thought I left a line .. blogger has been acting up .. anyway Deesha, the biryani looks fab. :-) Will help on veggie days. :-)

Adlak's tiny world said...

pic itself tempting deesha.. i feel hungry now.

Vani said...

That's one good looking biryani, Deesha!

Cilantro said...

Delicious Biryani... Love any kind of Biryani. Chettinad version looks nice and spicy.
Belated Happy Anniversary Wishes!

spicencook said...

Colourful and delicious recipe..... will surely try sometime.... :)

Purva Desai said...

This is new biryani for me...simply loved the spices used in preparing this biryani

Vidhya said...

yummy and colorful biryani. I made biryani today:) but something different. I am bookmarking this one..

Sia said...

this is the first time i came across chettinad biriyani. so thank u for that.
i simply adore the fiery, hot recipes from chettinad and their amazing blend of spices. i can't wait to try this recipe.

Madhuram said...

This biriyani looks so good. I have to try it one of these days.

Madhuram said...

Hi Deesha, started preparing this Biriyani and notice that you have forgotten to mention to add the paste. But I'm assuming that we would add it after frying the onions and I'm proceeding with it. Will let you know after lunch. But I'm very sure that we are going to love it. The aroma is so appetizing.

Madhuram said...

We loved it Deesha. The taste and smell was very good. Thanks for this awesome recipe.

DEESHA said...

Madhuram - Glad to know that you guys liked it

ARUNA said...

this is yet another delicious recipe from u Deesha! I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

ups sorry delete plz [url=http://duhum.com].[/url]

VJ said...

Hi Deesha,
the chettinad veg biriyani recipe is awesome!!!! tried it ...an instant sell out. everyone at home was in full praise for ur recipe ...sooo like Anjapar ..... thanks a bunch for posting
SR

Vivaana said...

Hey Deepthi, awesome recipe. My hubby is a foodie and i love trying new recipes for him and this one turned out to be awesome.. Thanks a ton

Archana

Wholesale Printing said...

Special Upload For Speical People Great. I always welcomed your blog. By Regards Brochure Printing