Summer has begun in our part of the world. I detest summer as much as I detest cockroaches, ( such a silly comparison :P ) . . I know a lot of people who love this season for the sunshine it brings on, But I have been the types who has always enjoyed winters, rainy days & pleseant weathers . .
While I already see the tempratures soaring, I look forward to eating something light & comforting for lunch. This raita is something that we make frequently during summers & it does have a cooling effect on your body. And, this is sure to surprise all 'Radish-Haters' & a few like me who love this yucky-smelling vegetable, this recipe is for keeps ..
You Will Need:
- 1 colored radish - grated
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tbsp grated coconut - fresh/frozen
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 -3 green chillies
- 1 broken red chilli
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 - 5 curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp desi ghee
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a small wok & saute grated radish till the raw smell disappears. This takes about 2-3 minutes. DO NOT cook completely. See to it that radish retains its crunch
- Grind together green chillies, cumin seeds & grated coconut with very little water into a smooth paste.
- Beat yogurt with salt, mix in sauteed radish, ground paste. adjust salt as per taste
- Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves & broken red chilli
Serve with HOT steamed rice .. Enjoi !!!
We had ours with some Tomato Saaru, Rice & spiced buttermilk for a complete meal.
- You could even use raw grated radish in this. But those of you who dislike the taste of raw raidsh, make sure you saute it before you proceed with the recipe.
- You could use daikon radish too. But, red radish is much milder in taste
- Enjoy as a Cold Soup too