Have you ever been to an Iyengar Bakery in Bangalore? The 'Bangalore Experience' wouldn't be complete without a visit to an Iyengar Bakery. Its is very difficult to single out a favorite bakery, because, there are so many good ones in every nook & corner of Bangalore. Howerver, the VB Bakery in VV Puram does stand out for some yummy Masala Bread & Buns.
How this orthodox Tamil speaking Brahmin sect got into the business of making English-style buns, puffs, pasteries & biscuits is quite a puzzle. Nevertheless, they dish out some of the most delectable goodies very distinct to Bangalore/Mysore region. The khara bun, bagful of crisp rusks, Cakes, stuffed buns & the By-Two Badam Milk are to die for.
One such favorite from the Iyengar Bakery is the Masala Toast.
I have literally grown up on these. I remember relishing slices & slices of this spicy Toast along with the customary 'By Two' chilled Badam Milk.
This recipe is very very easy & can be quite a hit at your place too.
You Will Need:
- 4 slices - white/whole wheat bread
- 1 tsp butter/desi ghee
- 4 tbsp grated onion
- 4 tbsp grated carrots
- 4 tbsp grated green bell pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt as per taste
- 2 green chillies
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Heat ghee/butter in a wok, Sizzle mustard seeds & green chillies. Add a pinch of turmeric & sugar. Add grated onions. Allow them to brown.
- Add grated carrots & bell pepper & saute until completely cooked.
- Add salt as per taste & mix well.
- Toast the bread sliced with a tsp of ghee/butter until crisp
- Spread the curry evenly on toasted bread
Serve warm. Enjoi !!!