Yours Truly turned an year older yesterday .. Older but definitely NOT wiser :) Well well, this is the perfect time to post my favorite Pulao recipe of all times ..
As a kid, I would demand that my mom made this Pulao for every birthday of mine .. And, whenever my mom makes this one, she makes sure that it suffices for my breakfast, lunch & dinner.
I literally grew up eating this version of Pulao & I love it .. Thanks Mom for making this one, everytime I asked for it .. Love Ya ..
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 2 onions - sliced lengthwise
- 2 carrots - sliced lengthwise
- 2 potatoes - sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup green peas - fresh/frozen
- 1 green bell pepper - sliced lengthwise
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp Desi Ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5-10 cashewnuts
- 3 tbsp grated coconut - fresh
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 garlic pods - optional
- 3 tsp grated ginger
- 8 green chillies - low to medium spiced
- Clean Basmati Rice in several changes of water & soak in water for 15 mins. Pressure cook rice with 1 cup water, such that each grain is separate. Once cooked, spread it on a plate & allow it to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, grind all the ingredients mentioned in the list adding a tbsp of water, into a smooth paste
- Heat Desi ghee in a wok, Add cumin seeds & allow them to sizzle. Add bay leaves & onion & fry until they turn pink.
- Add carrots, potatoes & french beans & add a tsp of salt & fry at regular intervals. Add some more oil to fry.
- Once the vegetables are half cooked, add bell peppers & green peas & the ground paste & fry until the vegetables are completely cooked, yet crunchy. The raw smell of the ground paste should have disappeared by now.
- Add cooked rice, Garam Masala & lemon juice. Check for salt & mix well on low flame.
- Close the lid & let it stand on low flame for a couple of mins
- Garnish with toasted cashewnuts.
Transfer into a bowl & serve warm with any Raita of your choice .. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: DO NOT ever skip adding poppy seeds as the pulao acquires a special taste due to the addition poppy seeds.