August 14, 2009

Fruit Kheer

What would one do if there are a lot of fruits in the pantry? Go on a Fruit Diet?? Hell No, I didn't have the least bit of inclination to do that ..

I don't have a major sweet tooth, But the other day, I was in this mood to indulge a bit. So I went ahead, & made this Fruit Kheer.

I think, this is a perfect party dessert, delicious & easy to make. I am definitely making this next time we have guests around.


You Will Need:
  • 1 litre Milk
  • 1/2 cup Condensed milk
  • 12-15 Almonds - soaked in warm water
  • 12-15 Cashewnuts - soaked in warm water
  • 1 Mango - finely chopped
  • 1 Apple - finely chopped
  • A handful of seedless Grapes - finely chopped
  • 3 ripe Bananas - finely chopped
  • A handful of Pomegranate
  • A pinch of Saffron - soaked in a tbsp of warm milk
  • 5 tbsp sugar - More if you are fond of sweets
  • 1/2 tsp of green cardamom powder

Method:

  • Grind soaked almonds & cashews using very little milk into a smooth paste & set aside
  • In a heavy bottomed vessel, bring milk to a boil. Add condensed milk & sugar & keep stirring continuously over low heat.
  • Add the cashew-almond paste & simmer the mixture for about 10-15 minutes. The mixture would have a nice creamy consistency by now.
  • Turn off the stove & let it cool for a while. Add chopped fruits & Cardamom powder
  • Garnish with saffron & almond silvers
  • Chill for a whole before serving .. Enjoi

I had this before lunch, after lunch & also in the evening instead of coffee. This really turned out to be better than expected. I loved it. Its packed with fresh fruits, Now, doesn't that give you an excuse to indulge ??

46 comments:

Sudeshna said...

Deesha,
This seems to be so tempting :). I just wanna grab a bowl right now, I understand why you skipped coffee today. Fresh fruits and that too as a full bowl and prepared with a kheer should have been an awesome feast to your sweet tooth :).

Smitha said...

Cool kheer with fruits... sounds like a dream dessert. Looks yummy. I should try it sometime, lots of fruits in my fridge right now

Smitha said...

Cool kheer with fruits... sounds like a dream dessert. Looks yummy. I should try it sometime, lots of fruits in my fridge right now

Preety said...

love the kheer with all those little bits of colorful fruits

Divya Vikram said...

That looks like a healthy and yummy dessert!

Sireesha said...

That looks scrumptious and delectable...

Padma said...

Yummy desert... perfect for summer :)

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Looks very delicious. Mouthwatering. Feel like gulping down that bowl of fruit kheer rightaway.

Sanghi said...

Delicious fruit kheer deesha! If you wish can send this to my FIL-Milk event!!:)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks so yummm.... Have to try !

rekhas kitchen said...

lovely dessert. very great Idea milk with fruits is always a hit in desserts looks so tempting yummmmmy.

Jaishree said...

Lovely dessert..Looks very delicious& tempting Deesha:)

sra said...

It's so pretty. I'm tempted to make it just for its looks.

aquadaze said...

I normally make a custard fruit salad, fruit kheer sounds so much better!!

Cynthia said...

Oh yum!

Sathya Sankar said...

Fruit kheer, sounds delicious ! Nice click.

Priya said...

Fruit kheer looks divine!

Parita said...

I too make this in similar way but call it fruit salad :)

Dibs said...

Great way to have fruits. A huge change from having it with some custard! Yum!

notyet100 said...

kheer looks yum

MamaFaMi said...

Refreshing!

LG said...

this is a great idea! looks tempting too..

sowmya said...

looks yumm..something similar to orange basundi I made from nupur's blog..I did not add condensed milk in that, but that sounds really good..am sure..cant resist the temptation..

jayasree said...

Fruit kheer- its interesting.. Looks creamy and delicious. It sounds better than fruit custard.

Suma Rajesh said...

looks soo delicious and yummy dear..

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

sounds delicious girl! reserve a cup for me :)

Usha said...

Sounds fantastic, loved it !

Mangala Bhat said...

yummy ..looks good !

Jyoti V said...

Hi,

First time at your blog.. nice work...
Kheer looks very yummy !

Priti said...

Looks delicious..nice combo of ingredients...nice click Deesha

Valarmathi said...

Wow looks fantastic. Nice pic.

raaji said...

hmmm looks so fantastic from the pic deesha...quite a party food

A_and_N said...

I love how healthy this is!

Sush said...

I have few awards waiting for you. Kindly collect them @ http://nsushma.blogspot.com/2009/08/savi-ruchi-turns-one.html

Sala @ Veggie Belly said...

yum! sounds easy too!

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

This is an amazing combo Deesha...i just loved the snaps....superb as usual.. :)

Keerthana said...

wow! that looks great! i make something similar with almonds. loved the idea of adding fruits. i am definitely going to try this one

n33ma said...

This really looks delicious.

Jyoti V said...

Hi,


first tiem at your blog...nice work...& very yummy recipe..

Purva Desai said...

We call this fruit kheer as Fruit salad....
The bowl looks tempting with loads of fruits to enjoy with

Sireesha said...

Happy ganesh chaturthi to you & your family dear :)

Soup 'N Juice Event is going on in my blog.Please do participate in it.

Vijitha Shyam said...

YUmmy gheer deesha! awesome pics lady :-)

Nags said...

that looks delicious..

Acid Alkaline Diet said...

Fruits contain natural fibers and thus promote natural bowel evacuation at regular basis. Consumption of fruit thus helps in controlling appetite and helps effectively in weight loss program.

loans in bangalore said...

excellent

jayasri said...

hey this is very interesting, I have condensed milk in my fridge now I know what to do, may be I don't have all those fruits but I can use whatever I have..thanx for sharing this recipe...