August 25, 2009

Lauki - Lobia Curry

It was one of those days when I was craving for some legumes. I love my legumes & I try adding it wherever I can. I normally use a lot of chickpeas & Green Moong Beans in my cooking But Black Eyed Peas/Lobia makes way into my kitchen ocassionally whenever I make Sambar.

The other day, I ran out of Moong beans so I went ahead & added Lobia instead & made this really yummy curry . Black Eyed Peas are so pretty to look at. Aren't they? Next time around, I am going to go ahead & sprout these beauties & maybe add potatoes or even Knol Khol.


You Will Need:
  • 1 cup Black Eyes Peas/Lobia/Dudhi/Alsande Kaalu (soaked overnight or atleast for 4-5 hrs)
  • 1 cup Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Sorekai - ( peeled, cored & cubed into 1 inch cubes )
  • 2 onions - finely chopped
  • 2 tomatoes - finely chopped
  • 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • A sprig of curry leaves
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • Salt as per taste

Method:

  • Pressure cook black eyed peas or cook on stove top until tender & set aside
  • Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan & splutter mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves & turmeric.
  • Add chopped onions & saute until it turns pink
  • Add chopped tomatoes & red chilli powder & saute for 5 minutes.
  • To this, add bottle gourd cubes & mix well. Add about 1/2 a cup of water & a tsp of salt. Cover with a lid & let it cook on medium flame. Keep stirring in between. When bottle goured cubes are fully cooked ( this should take about 12-15 mins ), Add cooked black eyed beans & Mix well
  • Check for salt. Add Garam Masala & mix well

Serve HOT with warm Phulkas or even steamed Rice. Enjoi !!!

I had these with Rotis & Yogurt & It really was an awesome meal. Makes a perfect weeknight dinner.

I might even try a simple sprouted Stir Fry with this some time. Watch this space for more ...

38 comments:

Priya said...

Lobia and Lauki works out wonder together...Curry looks fabulous Deesha!

Nags said...

Awww that pan is so cute! I tried to get one here but only saw the non stick kind..

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow...simple and delectable combo.....

rekhas kitchen said...

very mouthwatering combination looks great.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks so yummy! Drooling here...

Shri said...

Real Yummy curry!We usually make this with potato and that is the only way I made it.I shud try this

Pavithra said...

The curry looks real tempting and also healthy.. nice click as well ... Nice blurred with curry leaves on the whole u can put this as front page of any cookery book cute .

Curry Leaf said...

Looks wonderful and inviting.Never tried the combo.Healthy as well.

sowmya said...

nice combo..have tried combo of pumpkin and lobia,this sounds good too..

Shabs.. said...

Woowwww...what a pic...loved the photo alot and the dish too..:)

Gita said...

Delicious looking curry...nice combo.

srikars kitchen said...

Nice click.. looks fantastic & yummy

Mangala Bhat said...

wow!awesome pic and curry.thax for sharing!!

Padma said...

Nice combo and awesome click

Ann said...

Awesome picture and a great recipe.

Jyoti V said...

Hi Deesha,

Yes i am kannadiga... :)
What about you?

Jyoti V said...

Thats nice..:)
I am basically from Belgaum (north karnataka). But right now US.
Where do you live?
Is deesha is your name or only blog name?

kitchen queen said...

wow your curry combination is very good and looks amazing and delicious you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments

Preety said...

gr8 pic and gr8 recipe

n33ma said...

This is a new combo...I too like black eyed peas.

Red Chillies said...

never tried that combination before. DH does not like lauki at all, so never use it at home. We use black eyed beans all the time though.

Valarmathi said...

Nice combo. Looks great and yummy.

Purva Desai said...

Very unique and a must try combo

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Nice recipe and your picture is like a cookbook cover,perfect :)

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely yummy recipe....please do check my blog for first cooked food event.....do participate in it

Sush said...

cute looking pan!!
The recipe also looks very interesting Deesha

Lena Rashmin Raj said...

wowwwwwwwwwww......as usual snap is awesome... :)by seeing snap i thought from a book you got recipe, and snap is from cover page.. :)

Priti said...

Gud idea indeed..looks yum

Parita said...

A different combination, looks too good

Smitha said...

This is a novel combo! Never quite thought of it before.. But I love Alasande kalu and sure will like this dish

raaji said...

i try to make dudhi curry very simple..never taught of combining it with a bean

Madhavi said...

Greattt combo, yummyyy recipe!!

LORANDI said...

I have never tried this combination, Thanks for sharing a novelty.

notyet100 said...

comb looks yum,...

Lavi said...

Looks Great, Love the Curry Leaves behind!

I have few awards for you on my blog, Do Check it.

http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards-and-meme.html

Cynthia said...

I love black-eye peas. Your dish looks tasty. I saw that Sia made something sort of similar with potatoes the other day. I tried the recipe and everyone raved about it.

I've bookmarked yours.

Priyanka Dixit said...

Hey dippi,

I tried your black-eyed peas curry. It came out really well.. :) Thank u.. :)

-pri

Anonymous said...

What words... super, a magnificent phrase