Lauki - Lobia Curry

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It was one of those days when I was craving for some legumes. I love my legumes & I try adding it wherever I can. I normally use a lot of chickpeas & Green Moong Beans in my cooking But Black Eyed Peas/Lobia makes way into my kitchen ocassionally whenever I make Sambar.

The other day, I ran out of Moong beans so I went ahead & added Lobia instead & made this really yummy curry . Black Eyed Peas are so pretty to look at. Aren't they? Next time around, I am going to go ahead & sprout these beauties & maybe add potatoes or even Knol Khol.


You Will Need:
  • 1 cup Black Eyes Peas/Lobia/Dudhi/Alsande Kaalu (soaked overnight or atleast for 4-5 hrs)
  • 1 cup Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Sorekai - ( peeled, cored & cubed into 1 inch cubes )
  • 2 onions - finely chopped
  • 2 tomatoes - finely chopped
  • 2 green chillies - slit lengthwise
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • A sprig of curry leaves
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • Salt as per taste

Method:

  • Pressure cook black eyed peas or cook on stove top until tender & set aside
  • Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan & splutter mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves & turmeric.
  • Add chopped onions & saute until it turns pink
  • Add chopped tomatoes & red chilli powder & saute for 5 minutes.
  • To this, add bottle gourd cubes & mix well. Add about 1/2 a cup of water & a tsp of salt. Cover with a lid & let it cook on medium flame. Keep stirring in between. When bottle goured cubes are fully cooked ( this should take about 12-15 mins ), Add cooked black eyed beans & Mix well
  • Check for salt. Add Garam Masala & mix well

Serve HOT with warm Phulkas or even steamed Rice. Enjoi !!!

I had these with Rotis & Yogurt & It really was an awesome meal. Makes a perfect weeknight dinner.

I might even try a simple sprouted Stir Fry with this some time. Watch this space for more ...

You Might Also Like

38 comments