Lemony Bell Pepper Rice

Thursday, September 24, 2009

What do you do with leftover rice? I normally make Lemon Rice, which is the most convinient option during weeknights. And, it works for me because my husband gorges on it.

I was so so bored of eating the same old Lemon Rice, I thought I'd try something else which has a strong lemony flavor.


I had a bag of fresh bell peppers, I sauteed them & threw in some frozen green peas & added a dash of lemon & then this dish was ready in no time.

If you are a bell pepper fan, you will love this one.

You Will Need:

  • 1 1/2 cups rice ( I used Sona Masuri ) - leftover will be fine
  • 1 cup diced bell peppers (I used Green, Red, & Yellow)
  • 4 green chillies - chopped
  • A handful of curry leaves
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • Salt as per taste
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 3 tbsp grated coconut - fresh/frozen

Method:

  • Cook rice such that each grain is separate. Set aside & let it cool completely
  • Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Splutter mustard seeds, green chillies & curry leaves
  • Add diced bell peppers & a tsp of salt. Saute for about a minute. Close the lid & let it cook. Keep mixing in between to avoid the bell peppers from getting burnt.
  • When the bell peppers are well cooked & firm, add frozen green peas & mix well & let it cook for a couple of minutes.
  • Mix in cooked rice, grated coconut & lemon juice.
  • Check for salt & mix well
  • Serve with yogurt .. Enjoy !!!

I made this really long ago, & we really loved the flavors. I have been meaning to make this one again, but somehow I never got around doing it. Hopefully I should be making this again, real soon.

If you have leftover rice, give your regular lemon rice a miss, & try this one.

NOTE: If you are using fresh green peas, add them right in the beginning as it takes longer to cook than the frozen ones.

You Might Also Like

25 comments