I was so so bored of eating the same old Lemon Rice, I thought I'd try something else which has a strong lemony flavor.
I had a bag of fresh bell peppers, I sauteed them & threw in some frozen green peas & added a dash of lemon & then this dish was ready in no time.
If you are a bell pepper fan, you will love this one.
You Will Need:
- 1 1/2 cups rice ( I used Sona Masuri ) - leftover will be fine
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (I used Green, Red, & Yellow)
- 4 green chillies - chopped
- A handful of curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt as per taste
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp grated coconut - fresh/frozen
- Cook rice such that each grain is separate. Set aside & let it cool completely
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Splutter mustard seeds, green chillies & curry leaves
- Add diced bell peppers & a tsp of salt. Saute for about a minute. Close the lid & let it cook. Keep mixing in between to avoid the bell peppers from getting burnt.
- When the bell peppers are well cooked & firm, add frozen green peas & mix well & let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in cooked rice, grated coconut & lemon juice.
- Check for salt & mix well
- Serve with yogurt .. Enjoy !!!
I made this really long ago, & we really loved the flavors. I have been meaning to make this one again, but somehow I never got around doing it. Hopefully I should be making this again, real soon.
If you have leftover rice, give your regular lemon rice a miss, & try this one.
NOTE: If you are using fresh green peas, add them right in the beginning as it takes longer to cook than the frozen ones.