October 10, 2009

Aloo Gobi

Have I told you before, that Shankar is not a foodie at all. I think, Food probably features last in his list of priorities. Its not that he doesn't love good food, But he barely requests for anything specific & I really don't think he has a favorite ( How sad is that .. Sigh ... )



When we guys were newly married, I always fancied cooking his favorite dishes. All that went kaput .. Never mind

Hey, but there is one dish that he actually said he likes, yes Aloo Gobi it is. Thank God, he likes something, at least. Nope, I didn't make it for his birthday yesterday. I made this version of Vegetable Biryani for him .. But it is Aloo Gobi that he really relishes.

I love Aloo Gobi too .. Anything that has potatoes & cauliflower has to taste good isn't it ?

You Will Need:
  • 5 large potatoes - cut into cubes
  • 1 medium sized cauliflower - cut into medium sized florets
  • 2 large ripe tomatoes - finely chopped
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • 2 tsp garlic - finely chopped
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • Cilantro for garnish
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Method:
  • In a large skillet, heat oil, splutter cumin seeds, add grated ginger & chopped garlic & fry for 30 secs
  • Add potatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder & a pinch of salt. Mix well to coat & fry on medium flame for about 3-4 mins
  • Add cauliflowe florets, chopped tomatoes & salt as per taste. Toss well. Cover with a lid & let it cook on medium flame for anout 25-30 mins. Stir occasionally. The vegetables must be firm yet completely cooked.
  • Add Garam Masala & mix well
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Serve with warm Rotis .. Enjoi !!!

This simple & rustic Punjabi dish is a staple at my home too. Do you love Aloo Gobi too?

NOTE:
  • Immerse potato cubes in cold water to prevent them from turning brown
  • you could add a handful of green peas too

40 comments:

rekhas kitchen said...

wow mouthwatering one of my all time fav. combinations looks yummm. and very tempting.

Pari said...

Hi.This is an all time favorite,waiting for the cauliflower season to bloom.

hintofsaffron said...

I love Aloo Gobi! This looks good. I tried the recipe that was in the video of the movie Bend it like Beckham a few times. It turned out excellent. I might post that recipe on my blog too.

Sanjay

Archy said...

Yup, me too a fan for Aloo Gobi!! looks yum !!

Priya said...

Love anything with aloo and gobi, both together needless to say this is my most favourite dish..Gorgeous click Deesha!

meeso said...

"When we guys were newly married, I always fancied cooking his favorite dishes. All that went kaput .. Never mind" =)) That's too funny! Everything on your blog looks delicious! This is one of them :)

sowmya.s said...

i love this..looks yummy..

Nandini said...

Aloo Gobi is one of the best in my top 10 favourites! So alluring it looks!

Cham said...

That is delicious combo!

Shri said...

I have to say the same about V!Other than idlis, idlis and more idlis, I wonder if he has any fav..Aloo gobi looks delicious and is a must try,Deesha:)

SriLekha said...

looks delicious!

Sharmilee! :) said...

Have seen this in many blogs, am yet to try it, looks delicious!

Supriya Nair said...

Mouthwatering delight Deesha. I have shared the Over the top Blog award with you. Please collect it from my blog. Congrats dear!

Prathibha said...

Thats a yummy combo Deesha,even I like it...
Even my hubby is almost similar,never request me for anything but he wants good food.The only request he often does is chole batura..:)

Smitha said...

Aloo Gobi looks fab!! I love it too.. So same league as Shankar...

Tina said...

Nice click and recipe too.....

Red Chillies said...

Belated birthday wishes to Shankar.

You know Deepthi, my DH is on the other side of the spectrum, any food is not to his liking. Argh! I could go on and on and tear my hairs. Does this rant tell you that somebody is in the dog house :-)

Anyway, I love the combination of Aloo and Gobi, comfort food at its best. Looks good!

Cynthia said...

Hope the hubby enjoyed his birthday.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love Aloo gobi too... Yours looks delicious... Peas adds color too....

Sanghi said...

Mmm.. yummmy potato peas masala!

Sushma Mallya said...

looks so lovely & delicious...

Curry Leaf said...

Yum looks great.I am always for this combo,inviting combo

Valarmathi said...

Delicious combo, looks so yummy. Nice click too.

s said...

very nice blog...

Suma Rajesh said...

mouthwaterinf bowl full of spicy delicious curry...

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow...aloo being a versatile veggie...it tastes yum in combo with many veggies....aloo gobi is one such recipe...looks spicy and yummy...

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Looks so good. Nice and healthy recipe. Love to have it with rotis. YUM!

Suma Gandlur said...

A traditional combo which always work. I should say my husband loves this more than me in our family.:)
Belated wishes to your husband.

Veggie Belly said...

anything with potatoes has to taste good! period :)

Neha said...

An all time favourite. If any day i am unable to decide what to cook, i end up making this only.., as everyone simply love it...

Shama Nagarajan said...

nice yummy delicious..please do participate in my first cooked food event...check my blog for details

Laavanya said...

Oh I would be upset too if my husband showed no interest in food. Aloo Gobi is an eternal favorite.

Shreesudhi said...

Hey this one is really good one even sudhi likes alu ghobi will try this out

Prathibha said...

Yes dear,rice rava is akki tari..:)

notyet100 said...

even i luv alloo gobhi,..wish u happy diwali,..;-)

Jaya said...

Deesha,
Aloo gobhi is delicious ..looks like i need it now with my rotis..
Aww..well same here , hope you enjoyed his birthday.?.
wish you and yours a very happy Deepawali.
hugs and smiles

Kalyani said...

looks delicious & beautiful picture ... very tempting ...........

Shri said...

Happy Diwali, Deesha!

Cynthia said...

Happy Diwali!

brian b. said...

hey send me this yummy recipe, looks and sounds great!
can't wait to try it myself!