November 15, 2009

Carrot Chutney

I love coconut chutney, without any second thoughts. I am sure you all do. But have you ever been tempted to substitute it with a low calorie version.

As I drown my idlis into a huge bowl of chutney, I know, this isn't doing any good to my body. Nevertheless, I relish it.

The other day, I was looking for some low-cal chutney solutions. And, I found one here.

Carrot C

This chutney goes well with Idlis/Dosas/Rottis. But if you cannot do without your beloved coconut chutney, don't make this one :)

You Will Need
:
  • 4 carrots - peeled & diced
  • 3 green chillies
  • 2 tsp tamarind extract
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • A handful of curry leaves
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
Method:
  • Parboil the diced carrots & let them cool.
  • grind it coarsely along with salt & tamarind extract
  • Temper with mustrad seeds, green chillies & curry leaves
Enjoi your low-cal chutney with Idli/Dosa/Rice

30 comments:

Tina said...

Wow sooo different and colourful...never tried this....

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

Wow - thats awesome...

Bergamot said...

This is something different...nice idea.

meeso said...

I've wanted to try a carrot chutney for awhile, I really love the colors!

Priya said...

Delicious chutney..

Happy cook said...

Love the colour and looks delichs, but i have to admitt unlike you i have never had carrot chutney.

Cham said...

We do take with rice, the color is vibrant! Good one!

Smitha said...

Like the idea!! A must try.

Sharmilee! :) said...

Anything and ecerything with carrots I like it, so will surely give a try!

LG said...

We absolutely adore this chutney! You made me drool over that pic now :)

Parita said...

I think this chutney would taste delicious and i certainly love the color, lovely!

Yasmeen said...

Sounds nutritious :D

Usha said...

Very healthy and inviting chutney!

Usha said...

Very healthy and inviting chutney!

A_and_N said...

I always have leftover carrots and am not a huge fan. This is a great idea!

If I could reinvent, we could even make it into a spread for toast! yay! :)

Valarmathi said...

Looks lovely and yummy.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Lovely chutney! I have a different version :)

Ramya Bala said...

low calorie,atleast now let me try :)good one deepthi

jayasri said...

hope it did not tasted sweet, I loved the colour, looks delicious, will give it a try, never made one!!

Sheetal Kiran said...

Good idea! Love how bright and pretty this chutney looks!

SE(Denufood) said...

hi deesha...thanks for stopping by at my blog and for the wonderful comments..you've got a great space too!!

Andhra Flavors said...

healthy and delicious!

Shreesudhi said...

hey good one for kids also man. will try this.........

Laavanya said...

The one time I had carrot chutney I didn't take to it must try this version - looks good

VS said...

I love carrot chutney and now you have reminded me about it. Will make this for the weekend breakfast.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

yummy sweet chutney :)

Suma Rajesh said...

woo different chutney...

sra said...

Hi Deesha, have been out of the blogs more or less as I was travelling till recently. Glad to know you thought enough of the recipe to try it out, this is one of my favourites. Yours looks good.

s said...

lovely colour...great idea

Sonia said...

Such a lovely color of chutney. I think I should try it as I am Carrot lover. :)