February 25, 2010

South Indies: Dry Cabbage Curry/Palya

Palya is a vegetable/ mixed vegetable stir fry typically served as a side dish with anna-saaru or chapatis, in most kannada households.

Cabbage makes way into my kitchen very often because, whenever I send my husband to buy vegetables, he comes back holding a large head of cabbage. Not that cabbage is his favorite, its just that he really finds it convenient to buy them. He wouldn't really need to test it for its tenderness. Just pick it up, weigh it, pay for it, & he's done with vegetable shopping.

cp

So I find myself making this palya quite aften as accompaniment with some simple anna-saaru. And, it sure does make an awesome comination with saaru. Simple & homely food that is.

You Will Need:

  • 2 cups cabbage - finely shredded
  • 1/2 cup grated fresh coconut ( Optional )
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 2 tsp cumin seeds
  • A handful of curry leaves
  • 4- 5 green chillies - chopped finely
  • 1 tsp urad dal
  • 1 tsp chana dal
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp cooking oil
  • Salt as per taste

Method:

  • In a heavy bottomed pan, cook shredded cabbage with about 1 cup of water. Add turmeric powder & a little bit of salt while cooking. Cover with a pan, & cook on medium flame, till the cabbage is soft. Add more water if the water has already dried up. But DO NOT add too much water as cabbage leaves additional water while cooking.
  • Or simply, cook cabbage in the microwave. gets done pretty quickly.
  • Once the cabbage is cooked yet crunchy, Add grated coconut. Temper with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chana dal & urad dal.
  • Check for salt, Mix well

Serve HOT with steamed rice/chapatis .. Enjoi !!!

NOTE: You can even do without adding grated coconut. If you do not like the taste of coconut, or if you are calorie counting, give it a miss. It will taste as great.

50 comments:

Asha said...

My fave palya to have on the side with anna,saaru or great with chapatis too.

Deepa G Joshi said...

This is one of my and my husband;s favorite veggies. We prepare it atleast once a week.too good clicks..delicious.

Sharmilee! :) said...

Beautiful pic!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Wonderful! Looks perfectly done!

Happy Cook said...

This is my favourite way of eating babbage, i love it how the colour of your rice change when you mix this with tice. yumm.

Priya said...

Fantastic curry, i do often and enjoy with rice and papads..

Pavithra said...

Lovely dish and lovely click...

Rachel said...

I love stir fries like these

n33ma said...

I love to eat this palya with mosaranna.Looks good.

Ramya Manja said...

Wow what a splendid presentation,cabbage palya is my fav as well,goes very well with steamy hot rassam and rice...

priya said...

looks so nice and tempting!

Rachana Kothari said...

Thats a beautifully presented cabbage curry:) Yummy!

notyet100 said...

ur pics always make me drool,..

J said...

that looks gr8.. pic is awesome..

Suparna said...

Cabbage palya is a regular at our place for the same reason :) it's a fuss free buy ;) easy to make and tastes great with simple adige :)
Neat click dear!
TC

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

simple and yummy :)

Sashi said...

I do make it in the similar way .. Nice Click Deesha !!

Cham said...

My husb comes up with cabbage because he adores it :) Good one and nice pict!

meeso said...

Cabbage is a favorite of mine, first time I had this I loved it, looks delicious!

LG said...

kosu palya, thili saaru anna are a great combo..palya looks yummo in the pic :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

looks so nice...

shahana said...

What a beautiful click!!!It is my favorite dish!!

Shri said...

It looks lovely, Deesha!I love that subtle yellow color..

sowmya's creative saga said...

looks yumm..and love the pictures..

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I was looking for that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the sneakers are around 340 bucks everwhere. But finally I found this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what can you say about it?

Tina said...

My all time fav ...So simple and easy dish...

Sush said...

Though I am not a big fan of this palya, this is prepared once in 15 days at our home. This is one of the easily available vegetables here :)
Palya looks so good Deesha. I almost prepare it the same way. I also add urad & channa dal for crunchiness.

rekhas kitchen said...

very beautiful pic. and simple and delicious curry my fav. too

rekhas kitchen said...

very beautiful pic. and simple and delicious curry my fav. too

rekhas kitchen said...

very beautiful pic. and simple and delicious curry my fav. too

Deepti said...

nice click...I often make dry cabbage sabzi with peas n sometimes with potatoes.

Laavanya said...

I like cabbage curry esp. the coconutty thoran my Mil makes. Looks so good.

Ramya said...

Nice click!!cabbage poriyal and rasam is my fave combo

Jyoti V said...

Looks really good..nice combo with hot rice..nice click too..

Smitha said...

Lovely

Aruna Manikandan said...

Poriyal looks lovely!!!

Wonderful clicks :-)

Subhashini said...

I am visiting your blog first time.Very quick and easy dish.
Love
Subhashini

PriyaRaj said...

very nice click....I will also do it like this ,but i will add little bit chopped onions for frying .....

Red Chillies said...

This is my favorite palya and love it with Mosaranna and some uppinakayi. Comfort food at its best.

Parita said...

Thats a fantastic click!!!

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Fabulous pic... Love the cabbage fry, goes well with Rasam and yogurt!!!

Jagruti said...

I always love cabbage sabji..looks so good and great click!!

Balakrishna Saraswathy said...

Wht u say is true even my hubby does that..I love cabbage dishes in any form esp add dal to them..very yummy:)

Usha said...

Lovely picture ! Simple and yum curry...

Malar Gandhi said...

Lovely tir-fry.:)

Madhavi said...

yep lovely recipe :))

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Palya looks nice..my fav one

Jayasri said...

I love this palya too.., great with anna saaru and with chappatis!!, I have one in my draft never had time to post it, My click is not anywhere near yours!!, lovely click...

PranisKitchen said...

Palya looks yummy..I used to prepare the palya with tindora..Next time have to try with cabbage..I have a different recipe

krishna said...

hey i wanted to know one thing, u mentioned to add 2tsp cooking oil. but u didn't mention when to add it. Can i know in detail?