When I first started with South Indies, as a regualr series in the blog, a lot of people came forward & shared their favorite South Indian recipes with me. Asha from Foodies Hope was first one to mail me her Grandmother's recipe, Menasala - A summery cucumber & yogurt gravy. Thanks Asha, for this wonderful recipe. Its now a regular at my home too.
Summer is at its peak here. And, what can be a better way to beat the heat ...
- 2 cucumbers - peeled & chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup fresh yogurt
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 2 dry red chillies - broken
- Finely chopped cilantro - for garnish
- 2 -3 tbsp fresh coconut - grated
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 4 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small red onion
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- In a tsp of oil, roast all the ingredients mentioned in the 'To Grind' list until they turn slightly reddish. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, grind together with coconut, onion & yogurt adding very little water
- In a large bowl, mix together cucumber cubes, ground paste & yogurt. Whisk well.
- Temper with mustard seeds, red chillies & curry leaves.
- Adjust salt & garnish with finely chopped cilantro.
Serve with HOT steamed rice. Enjoi !!!
The addition of roasted coriander seeds & raw onions add a kick to the otherwise regular raita. This is a perfect summer dish .. Go ahead & make it right now ...