May 19, 2010

South Indies: Balaka/Majjige Menasu - Sun Dried Green Chillies

When the sun is at its peak, why not make good use of it?? Atleast this is what my grandmom believed in. Of all the things that my grandmom made during summer, I particularly love Balaka - sun dried green chillies.

Though these are readily available in most stores, there is something very charming about home made stuff .. Go ahead & make good use of the sun.

Balaka 1

These are usually made in bulk & are stored for over more than a year. And, these are fairly simple to make as compared to papads & the like. Though, a time consuming process, its totally worth the wait. These are perfect for monsoons, when one craves for something fiery & spicy.

Balaka

You Will Need:

  • 50 Green Chillies
  • 3 cups Sour Buttermilk
  • 3-4 tsp Salt

How To:

  • Wash & pat dry green chillies. Make slits halfway along, such that the chillies remain intact & do not open up. You could use a toothpick or a small knife for this
  • In a huge bowl, mix buttermilk & salt
  • Immerse the slit green chillies in the buttermilk-salt mixture. Keep them in the mixture for 3 complete days. Keep stirring the chillies atleast twice a day.
  • Now, take a wide plate or spread a huge plastic sheet & sun dry the chillies. At the end of the day, transfer the chillies back to the buttermilk mixture.
  • Repeat the procedure for about 3 days.
  • Throw way the sour buttermilk & sun dry the green chillies for another 4 days until the chillies lose all moisture & are completely dry.
  • Store in a air-tight container.
  • Fry them for a few seconds, until golden brown.

Enjoi with a simple Dal Tadka , Majjige Huli or Curd Rice . . .

NOTE:

  • You could also use these chillies to temper plain Dal Tadka & Green Mango Dal in particular.
  • Those of you who are not used to spicy food may find this very fiery. So first, take a small bite to see if you can take the heat :)

46 comments:

Happy Cook said...

Just came here after Nithya's place seeing the chillies and now i see them again. Love these chillies, hubby loves them more.

DEESHA said...

Hey Thanks Finla,that was quick

Priti said...

Lovely pic and looks too gud..perfect with curd rice yes..

Asha said...

Homemade is always the best. Best to do this is in August, blazing hot Sun. Looks great Deesha.

Madhuri said...

All are getting ready for rainy day. Summer Preparations!
Awesome Photography

Priya said...

My favourite!!just enjoy with rice porridge..beautiful click..

Usha said...

Looks fabulous and homemade definitely always tastes much better..

rekhas kitchen said...

yummm love to have those chilies with curd rice... mouthwatering Deesha

Suma Gandlur said...

I love the straw pan.
I still have some left from last year's. In our parts, spring has not sprung properly yet and probably have to wait for 2 more months for a proper Summer to prepare all these.

Shama Nagarajan said...

we love those chillies...

Rachana Kothari said...

I love sun-dried chillies but didn't know how to make them. Thanks for the recipe and the beautiful clicks :)

AdukalaVishesham said...

lovely clicks.. we love these chillies.. curd rice n these make an awesome combo..... n we call it "kondattu molagu" in kerala...

Rachel said...

love the rustic charm in the pics..beautiful

Nithya said...

Wow dear.. Its a perfect coincidence and was all the more shocked to see a similar presentation.. he he :) This is why it was said great ppl think alike is it?? ;)

Kairali sisters said...

Brilliant clicks.Love these with curd rice and pickle...

Love
Kairali sisters

Hari Chandana said...

Wow.. What a coincidence.. I just posted this in my blog..

Balaka looks soo tempting and perfect.. Awesome clicks dear.. :)

Arthi said...

One more sun dried green chilies recipe. I love them at any time. My fav one. Your pics seriously rocks. Awesome click..

Panchpakwan said...

Wow these looks so perfect. Beautiful presentation too.
Nice combo with curd rice.

Cham said...

I got from India last year and still have it. That is great with curd rice! Lovely click!

A&N said...

I love this. Give this and curd rice and I'm set for life :)

Great pic!

Jagruti said...

Wow..love it ! sadly we don't have that type of summer here in U.K..:-(

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

hey i use to simply love these with khichadi...my mom makes this ans she bought the for me when she last visited me...lovely pics...

first time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



sanyuktagour(bayes)
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

lovely chillies, perfect clicks too...

Sush said...

my mom usually prepares this & I get a my portion (that lasts for an year!!). She makes 3 big batches for each of her children. As you rightly said, this is not a tiresome job, but needs intervention until it is stored :)

Aps said...

I just saw it in niths blog... nd i m seein it here... I have a big story about these chiliies...:D.... i love them :)

Pavithra said...

I love it and especially cute pictures .... Small props are looking so cute...

Sharmilee! :) said...

I luv this with curd rice...perfect they look. As usual beautiful picture

jeyashrisuresh said...

lovely dried chillies. cute pictures. always buy the store bought one.

Life is beautiful!!! said...

One of my favourites. They look perfect :)

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Wow,I saw in two other blog! Love the second picture very very much! So cute!

Shobha said...

i use this mostly whn we have vegetarian food,its nice...

notyet100 said...

wow,..this looks so good...

Suma Rajesh said...

woo nice to c again this awesome method after cing nithya's blog..looks perfect..

Mangala Bhat said...

LOvely Pics ...My fav Balaka .

Suman said...

hey, thnx for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment...appreciated...i use dried red chillies in my cooking...never thgt of making this at home...sounds good....thanks for sharing this Deesha...tk care...hope to see u often at my blog...

GayathriRaj said...

Hey thats a nice one...i love them like anythng....i use to have this with curd rice...wow that feeling itself is mouth watering...i love it...thanks for sharing...

Madhavi said...

WOW love this chilli with vada pav :))

sowmya's creative saga said...

i know this tastes awesome..

Yummy Team said...

Wonderful pics..Love it with curd rice..

Kannada Cuisine said...

Love Balaka!!!Perfect combo with Tovve...

Red Chillies said...

beautiful pictures and love that rustic, traditional look in the pictures. You capture it so well.
This is one of our favorite at home and we plan on doing this summer.

Rajani said...

this is a staple at my house, my mum makes a huge batch for us kids to take back.

M D said...

These chillies look so tempting and good. Loved ur photographs. Wow! I didnt know they were so easy to make. This is good!

alessandra said...

Very interesting, I never used sour buttermilk before

Aparna said...

YOur picture of these chillies is lovely.
True, they're best home-made but I haven't made them in a long time since I have good source of some made in someone else's home! :)

LG said...

Majjige hulige balaka illade ruchine illa.