Shankar usually take this on his travels so that he can relish a hassle free breakfast & then I was like, why not start using this at home too, it is so handy. This is a real time saver for bachelors or even for women with busy schedules. Imagine, you get back late from work & piping hot upma is just 2 mins away .. Bliss !!!
You Will Need:
- I Kg Semolina/Upma Rava
- 200g cooking oil
- 2 tbsp oil - for roasting semolina
- 150g Desicated coconut
- 20 Green Chillies - chopped
- 1 tbsp curry leaves - chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- Take a huge Kadhai & heat about 2 tbsp oil. When warm, add semolina & roast on medium flame until aromatic & semolina begins to change colour. This should take about 10-12 mins considering the amount of semolina. Set aside & allow it to cool
- In the same kadhai, Heat 200g oil & splutter mustard & cumin seeds. Add urad & chana dal & allow them to change color slightly.
- Add curry leaves, chopped green chillies, turmeric & chopped cilantro & saute on medium heat until the chillies, curry leaves & cilantro become slightly crisp.
- Add desicated coconut & fry for a couple of minutes.
- To this, add roasted semolina & salt as per taste & mix well on low heat. Keep stirring for about 5-7 minutes till the upma mixture starts looking crisp ( It should look like the picture above )
- Allow it to cool & transfer into an air-tight jar for later use
To make Upma:
- 1 cup Upma mixture
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp Desi Ghee
- Take a small sauce pan, heat water. When the water starts boiling, add desi ghee.
- Pour the Upma mixture slowly. Keep stirring continuously as you pour so that no lumps are formed.
- Allow it to cook. This should take a couple of mins.
Transfer it to your bowl & enjoy it with some fresh yogurt or with sprinkle some Chutney Pudi on top like I did .. Enjoi !!!!
You can add a few frozen peas or any other frozen vegetables you have on hand. I sometimes add Vangi Bhath powder for a spicier version.
- 1kg mixture should last for about a month depending on your usage
- The mixture stays fresh for a good 2 months. Beyond that, the flavours start getting stale.