I didn't have a single vegetable in my pantry yesterday & I was craving for a hearty meal, & I suddenly wanted to eat Dal Fry .. I soaked some Toor, Moong & Chana Dal & this Dal Fry was ready in about 30 mins.
You Will Need:
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal
- 1/2 cup Chana Dal
- 2 onions
- 2 tomatoes- chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 4 green chillies - slit lengthwise
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- A handful of curry leaves
- 3 dry red Chillies - broken
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Desi Ghee
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt as per taste
- Pick & wash the Dals & soak them in water for abiut 15 mins. Pressure Cook them until soft but NOT mushy & set aside
- Make a paste of onions & set aside
- In a kadhai, heat some ghee. splutter cumin & mustard seeds. Add asafoetida, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chillies & turmeric powder & saute for 30 secs.
- Add onion paste & cook till the raw smell disappears.
- To this, add chopped tomatoes & a tsp of oil & red chilli powder. Cook till tomatoes are fully cooked& oil separates.
- Add cooked dal & give it a gentle mash. Add water to get the desired consistency, Add salt & let it simmer fotabout 10 mins.
- Heat Desi Ghee & temper with red chillies & Garlic cloves & pour it over Dal.
Serve Dal with Warm Rotis or steamed Basmati Rice or even Jeera Rice .. Enjoi !!!