I love Rains & the weather here is getting colder by the day .. There is something magical about monsoons & I am just loving it .. But another thing, that is not so noce about monsoons is that I am just not able to keep my hands off yummy Kodbales & other fried goodies :(
This weather is perfect for some soups too. I love soups, but I mostly rely on those ready-to - eat ones .. But you don't get an instant shorba mix, do you?? So I made Dal Shorba with Masoor Dal ...
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Masoor Dal
- 3 onions - diced
- 3 tomatoes - coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic - crushed
- 1 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Lemon wedges
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, saute crushed garlic, ginger & bay leaf for about 20 secs. Add onions, a pinch of salt & saute till it turns pink.
- Add chopped tomatoes &red chilli powder & saute for a couple of mins. Discard the bay leaf.
- Wash Masoor Dal in several changes of water. Pressure cook Dal with onion & tomato in about cups of water.
- Allow it to cool. Blend it in a blender
- Transfer it to a cooking pot, & bring it to a boil.
- Add crushed black pepper, chilli flakes & adjust Salt as per taste
Before serving, garnish with fresh cilantro & serve with a lemon wedge .. Enjoi !!!
You can also make this with Moong Dal or a mixture of Masoor & Moong Dal
I loved the addition of crushed pepper & chilli flakes. But, if you find it a tad spicy for your taste, you can do without it ..