February 15, 2011

Paneer Bhurji

Those of you who follow me on Facebook must already be familiar with this picture already. A couple of weeks ago, I made this yummy Paneer Bhurji for lunch. When Shankar saw the pictures, He said, this looked like Cauliflower/Gobi & nobody is even going to think this is Paneer. Now, if I can't make paneer look like paneer then, that would be a serious challenge to my photography skills :(

We anyways decided to put it up on FB without a caption & the comments were rather interesting.
And, yes a lot of people did say it looked like Gobi. Much to my relief, some of them (mostly my food blogger friends) thought it look like Paneer too. Else, I'd have to reshoot this one :)

Anyways, whatever this looks like, This is Paneer Bhurji for me.

Paneer Bhurji

You Will Need:
  • 200g Paneer/Indian Cottage Cheese
  • 1 big Onion - finely chopped
  • 1 big Tomato - finely chopped
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper - finely chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp kalonji/Nigella seeds
  • 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • Salt as per taste
  • Chopped cilantro for garnish
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
How To:
  • Crumble Paneer & set aside
  • In a pan, heat oil, splutter cumin seeds & Kalonji. Add ginger-garlic paste & saute for about 10 secs. Add chopped onion & saute` till they turn slightly pink.
  • Add chopped bell peppers & tomato. Mix well & Add red chilli powder & turmeric & cook till oil separates. Add crumbled paneer, Salt & Garam Masala. Mix well & allow it to cook in low heat for about 5 mins. Keep stirring ocassionally to avoid the bottom from getting burnt.
  • Garnish with chopped cilantro

Serve with warm Rotis ... Enjoi !!!

Since Shankae dislikes overuse of spices, I made this rather plain. I skipped Cumin & Coriander powder. I add just a little bit of Garam Masala for thr flavour. I sometimes skip Garlic too & for me it didn't make a huge difference.

I love serving this with warm Rotis. Since it gets done in 15 mins, its a great option for a weeknight dinner. You could probably use the leftover Bhurji for stuffing parathas too or even in wraps

29 comments:

Priti said...

Love that platter dear..looks delish

Madhura Manoj said...

Looks delish.Like to try this.

http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

Sharmilee! :) said...

When I saw it in FB...at first sight I thought as paneer bhurji but missed to comment...Looks too gud. Well clicked!!

Akila said...

picture speaks the taste dear.... love it..
Dish Name Starts with F
Learning-to-cook
Regards,
Akila

Laavanya said...

It's been so long since i made paneer bhurji... so yummy with everything.

Reva said...

Wow ... this is wonderful ... the colour of the dish stands out so well...
Reva

Tina said...

Beautiful click dear...Bhurji sounds mouthwatering n tempting...

Reshmi said...

hey deesha..burji with paneer looks absolutely divine..

Kairali sisters said...

Beautifully captured...Paneer bhurji indeed looks like cauliflower..Delicious..

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious paneer

Paaka Shaale said...

The Paneer bhurji looks delicious Deesha. Very well shot as well :)

shankar said...

Ok - I agree it's Paneer Bhurji, you won as always....

Sharmila said...

Love the fact that you kept it low on spices. Looks fab Deesha! :-)

Priya said...

Slurp, fingerlicking paneer bhurji..beautiful spread..

Harika's Kitchen said...

very innovative...........dish

Madhavi said...

So I win.huhhh..yeyyy ? :)) This bhurji looks so good..yumm!!!

Nithya said...

Wow.. this looks really yummy. I haven't tasted this before and pretty eager to try it out :)

priya said...

delicious dear...bhurji looks awesome

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

Luks Delicious,Wonderful click...

sowmya's creative saga said...

a favourite anytime..why bother what it looks like when it is going to be so delicious..

rekhas kitchen said...

I like that color looks so inviting Nice click Deesha.. Yes it is Paneer he heeeee

Cooking Foodie said...

Nice looking dish...

arthi said...

my fav...looks delicious..

Suja Sugathan said...

Looks super delicious,beautiful click.

Now Serving said...

Deesha, that looks super inviting and delish! Lovely post!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Looks super good and lovely click!

Priya's Feast said...

Luv this a lot ,even it is simply..
following you..

SravsCulinaryConcepts said...

Tempting bhurji... Lovely click !!!!

Tamara said...

I'll follow your recipe to the last detail and hopefully i can have it done perfectly. 'll try it and share with my family.