Dal Makhani is finger licking good .. I swear !!! But the amount of cream & butter in it can give you nightmares for sure ... But for a everyday meal, there is Dal Amritsari ... As creamy as Dal Makhani .. I swear ...
I got this recipe from a Sanjeev Kapoor cookbook ( Courtesy: My Dad :) ) & I really loved it .. The amount of proteins in this makes you want this more often .. Especially if you are a vegetarian like me.
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Sabut Urad Dal - with skin
- 1/4 cup Chana Dal
- 1 big onion - finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander for garnish
- Soak both the Dals in water overnight. Pressure cook dal until soft & mushy. once done, give it a mash with the back of a ladle. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pot, add chopped ginger & garlic & saute for about 30 secs on low heat, Add onions & fry till it turns pink. add chopped tomatoes & red chilli powder. Cook till the tomatoes are soft.
- Add cooked dal, salt & butter. Add some water if required to get the desired consistency. Simmer on low heat for about 10 mins.
- Add garam masala & simmer for a couple of minutes more.
- Garnish with fresh coriander
Serve with Naan/Roti/Jeera Rice ... Enjoi !!!