I know most of you reading this wouldn't know what Doddapatre leaves are. They are know as Cuban Oregano in English & Karpooravalli in Tamil. And, if you still can't place this, you should probably ask your Grandmom.
These leaves have a strong flavour & have tremendous medicinal properties as well. You can know more about it here.
Shankar's Grandmom makes this amazing Tambuli from Doddapatre. And, we all love it especially during summer .. It takes about 5 mins to make this, if you have grated coconut on hand.
You Will Need:
- Doddapatre Leaves - 15-20
- 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 1/2 cups fresh yogurt
- 5 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black peppercorns
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan & saute cumin seeds, peppercorns & green chillies for about a minute. Set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the leaves for about a min & set aside.
- In a mixer, grind together coconut along with doddapatre leaves, sauteed cumin, blackpepper & green chillies.
- Add some salt & a little bit of yogurt & grind into a smooth paste.
- Transfer into a bowl. Add more yogurt to get a thick sauce like consistency. Check for salt & whisk gently.
- Temper with mustard seeds & curry leaves.
Serve with warm Rice .. Enjoi !!!
You can also make Chutney with these leaves. What more, you can make yummy Bhajjis with these leaves too .. Maybe I should make it sometime :)