April 8, 2011

Spring Onion Soup


While growing up, I didn't know anything beyond Tomato Soup :) That is because, Indian cuisine isn't very large on soups. There isn't anything beyond a Dal Shorba or a Tamatar Shorba at most Indian restaurants.
Ofcourse, now with growing diversity, frequent travels & constant media exposure, we are better aware of different cusines across the world.

I have a thing for soups. Not the rich creamy variety, but simple homemade ones packed with loads of nutrition & flavour.

Spring Onion Soup

I had a bunch of Spring Onions, & not wanting to make what I usually do with these, I found  this recipe on Martha Stewart's website. This one's fairly simple to make & takes just about 15 mins.

I love adding milk to my soups as it gives a nice creamy texture. If you don't want to add milk, add more stock or cream if you would like to.

You Will Need:
  • A bunch of Spring Onions - Approximately 2 cups when chopped
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • A little more than 1  cup of Vegetable Stock/Water
  • Minced Garlic - 1 tsp
  • 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
  • 2 tsp Butter
  • Salt as per taste

How To:
  • Heat butter in a sauce pan, Add garlic & chopped spring onions. Saute for about 3 mins or until the spring onions are cooked. Don't allow spring onions to change color. Turn off the stove, Set aside & allow it to cool
  • Gring spring onions into a smooth paste adding little water. Strain & transfer to a cooking pot.
  • Bring the pot to a boil, Add milk & vegetable stock & allow it to heat gently. Season with salt & freshly cracked pepper.

Serve HOT with a crusty bread of your choice. Add a dash of cream, if you want some .. Enjoi !!!

31 comments:

Sathya Sankar said...

Spring onion soup looks and colourful and delicious!

www.appetitetreats.com

DEESHA said...

Thanks Sathya

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

Truly drool worthy..yummy yum..looks so tempting...
Sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

DEESHA said...

Thanks Sanyukta

Priya said...

Wat a delicious super inviting bowl of yummy soup..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

I commented before but not sure what happened. :(

I am definitely trying this soup as I have 3 bunches of spring onion and I was wondering what to do with it! Tx for posting it. And M-Stew is a very creative lady!

Gopi Shah said...

I love anything green! soup looks so yummy...

simply.food said...

Amazing vibrant colour. Delicious soup.

Sharmilee! :) said...

Soup with spring onion is a nice twist, looks creamy n yummy...fresh color

SravsCulinaryConcepts said...

delicious and very inviting soup !!

Preety said...

lovely green color..

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Love this one,so yummy,I always love spring onion in any form!

veena krishnakumar said...

love the colour. Very appetizing

Hari Chandana said...

Interesting recipe.. looks so tempting and delicious.. love the color :)
Indian Cuisine

Raji said...

WOW..what a lovely colour...wonderful flavours going in that soup.

Priti said...

Looks so delightful ...and love the pic

Maricar said...

How come when I click on a recipe that looks delicious, I get sent right to you? Can't wait to try this!

LG said...

Soup looks great, nam mane pot alli sprin onion eega nanna karita ide nodi soup maadu anta. Got inspired by your post to make soup :)

notyet100 said...

warm nd comforting,.

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

yummy soup dear,luks delicious...

Paaka Shaale said...

The soup looks very comforting. I have bookmarked the recipe

Suja Sugathan said...

Yummy bowl of soup,looks delicious.

jeyashrisuresh said...

very yummy and creamy soup.wonderful presentation

kittymatti said...

wow! such a lovely presentation! as usual:)

Nithya said...

Delicious soup. Had this soup in my sister's house a week back and now your post is making me feel damn tempted :)

Kairali sisters said...

Great looking green soup, i am loving the simplicity in this deesha,

uma shankar said...

looks superb!

Kathlyn said...

How come when I click on a recipe that looks delicious, I get sent right to you? Can't wait to try this!

Sunshinemom said...

Hey, thanks for visiting! I had lost track with you over time and you just reminded me that you have a beautiful blog that I haven't been doing justice too:(. As usual pretty click and a lovely recipe, Deepthi!

shubhada said...

Hi,yummy recipe and lovely pic...

chitraj.hegde said...

This is one interesting soup...must try..looking yummy...