Almost a month ago, I was invited to attend a cooking demo by Chef Vicky Ratnani of Gourmet Central fame. The whole demo was centered around using Wasington Apples in various dishes. While, I was amazed at the versatality of apples, one particular dish that caught my attention was this simple soup made that Chef Vicky made using apples & Pumpkin. It was creamy, delicious & had a nice mix of flavours. I am a soup girl & I had to try that recipe ...
I tweaked the recipe a little & added potatoes instead. Potatoes lend a nice creamy texture to the soup thereby, making the use of fresh cream optional. I actually didn't add any cream to my soup at all & yet it turned out rich & creamy. Ofcourse, if you want a better taste, add cream. Fresh cream makes everything taste better afterall :)
I love the addition of curry powder. It gives a nice subtle kick without overpowering the other flavours. Replace with red chilli powder, of you want to.
Let's head straight to the recipe ...
You Will Need:
- 2 Apples ( I used Granny Smith ) - peeled, cored & diced
- 2 large Potatos - peeled & diced
- 1 large onion - diced
- A small piece of ginger
- A stalk of lemongrass
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tsp curry/sambar powder
- Salt as per taste
- A dash of turmeric
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh cream - optional
- Water or Vegetable stock - as needed
- In a large pot, heat some olive oil, add green chilli, shredded ginger & allow it to sizzle. Add diced onions & allow them to sweat. Throw in the apples & potatoes & stir. Add turmeric, lemon grass & curry powder & mix well. Add some stock or water, cover with a lid & allow it to cook on medium flame. Stir at regular intervals.
- Once the apples & potatoes are soft, turn off the stove & allow it to cool down. Discard the lemon grass & Blend into a smooth puree.
- Return the soup to the pot, Add some water or stock to adjust the consistency. Don't make the soup very thin & runny. Be careful in adding the amount of water or stock. Add little at a time to adjust the consistency. This is a creamy soup, so you will know, how much to add. Add cream if using & heat gently.
- Turn off the stove & garnish with chopped parsley.