May 9, 2011

South Indies: Kothu Parotta

OMG !!! I haven't blogged for more than two weeks .. And, before I forget that I write a food blog, I am here again .. What kept me really really busy was my cousin's wedding & I was in a totally different world, with all the dressing up, new sarees, jewellery & make-up .. Just what is needed to keep a girl happy :)

The last couple of weeks were choco bloc with loads of family get togethers, that also means I had an overdose of traditional food .. To get my taste buds alive & kicking again, I made Kothu Parotta just for I Me & Myself ...

Kothu Parotta


You Will Need:
  • 2 leftover Malabar Parottas/ Chapatis (Frozen will work too )
  • 1 large onion - finely chopped
  • 1 tomato - finely chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1/2  tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/2 red chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • Salt as per taste
  • Cooking oil ( I used Sunflower Oil )
  • Chopped coriander for garnish

How To:
  • Cut the Parottas/Chapatis into 1' inch pieces.
  • In a small pan, heat oil. splutter cumin & add ginger-garlic paste. Give it a good stir. To this, add chopped onions & saute until it turns pink.
  • Add chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, Pav Bhaji Masala, turmeric & some salt. Cook till oil separates.
  • Add Parotta/Chapati pieces, Garam Masala & mix well.
  • Check for salt & cook on low flame for another minute or so. Turn off the stove & transfer to a serving bowl.. Garnish with chopped coriander
Simply Dig in  & Enjoi !!!

NOTE:
  • If you don't have leftover parottas/Chapatis, you could use fresh ones too, but the leftovers are very handy, Really ..
  • I made this with Chapatis as I am not very fond of using Malabar Parottas which is made of APF .. Wholewheat Chapatis are a lot more healthier. I don't think they make a great difference in taste either .. If you think otherwise, let me know :)
  • You could use whichever spice powder you want to .. Even, Chole Masala or Rajma Masala for a different kick
  • Those who eat eggs, can add a beaten egg right after adding the tomatoes. I do hear from people, that this takes the dish to a different level ...

25 comments:

Mehjabeen Arif said...

Thats the right kick in food.. spicy and simple..

lpve it..

New to ur space and Happy to follow u..
Do visit me a stime permits..
http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

Sayantani said...

ave been thinking of making this for such a long time. your superb creation is tempting me yet again.

Nithya said...

Super like :) oh I just wonder how I missed to try this out when I made parottas last week. Anyways will make it again just for this reason :)

Tempting pic again :)

Krithi's Kitchen said...

Oh! how I like kothu parotta and how I miss it... :( Thanks for the visual treat!
http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Breakfast Club - Pancakes - Roundup

Paaka Shaale said...

This recipe is new to me Deesha. Looks wonderful. Will try this for sure :)

Laavanya said...

Kothu parottas are a definite favorite at our home... looks great!

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Looks really tempting!

Nitha said...

delicious kothu porotta..

Prathibha said...

I miss all that fun here in bombay..:)
Love this one...needless to say that the pics r gr8

Priti said...

It's okie if you don't blog for 2 weeks sweety as long as you enjoyed other things :)...this is one of my fav ...and looks so yum

Hari Chandana said...

Very nice recipe.. looks amazing.. :)
Indian Cuisine

RAKS KITCHEN said...

My favorite, looks fabulous,nice click!

Priya said...

Love kothu parottas anytime,looks delicious and irresistible..

Madhura Manoj said...

Simple & irresistible...
http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

chitraj.hegde said...

really this is looking great....very innovative idea....must try..

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

U r making me hungry dear,luks very tempting...

swapna said...

Tempting and spicy.....

Kalyani said...

looks delicious and tempting ......

Raji said...

I really love this kothu parotta, always order it from sarvana bhavan...so tempting.

Vardhini said...

Kothu paratha looks yummy. Thx for visiting my space. Hope to see you often :)

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

Now Serving said...

Looks really yummy dear

Deeksha said...

Hi Deesha
Thanks for visiting my space and giving lovely comments.
Awesome malabar parottas! Yum...

Sathya Sankar said...

Looks yummy, love kothu parottas!

Appetite Treats

aeshcame said...

nice choice of oil~
better for heating purposes.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks yummy!! i have also made it. but adding pav bhaji masala is a nice idea.