May 17, 2011

Tofu & Spinach Scramble/Bhurji

This might not be a gorgeous looking dish, but the protein packed nutrition in this definitely makes up for its bad looks. I recently discovered, the versatality that tofu has to offer & was amazed to find out that it works as a great substitute for Eggs or even Paneer/ Indian Cottage Cheese.

Tofu & Spinach Scramble


I  made this simple scramble with Tofu  & Spinach. Since Tofu is bland in taste, I used loads of Indian spices for flavour.

You Will Need:
  • 300g Firm Tofu - Drained & Crumbled
  • 4 small bunches of Spinach - Cleaned & Chopped
  • 1 big onion - finely chopped
  • 2 green chillies
  • 1 tsp fresh Grated ginger
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tsp cooking oil
How To:
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, heat oil & splutter cumin seeds. Add fresh grated ginger, green chillies & onions. Saute till it turns pink.
  • Add chopped spinach & saute until the leaves are wilted. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder & Garam Masala. Mix well & cook for a minute
  • Mix in Tofu & add salt a sper taste. Cook on low heat for about  mins, stirring in between.
  • Turn off the stove & transfer to a serving bowl.
Serve with some warm Phulkas. Enjoi !!!

NOTE: I don't recommend using Silken Tofu as it turns into a mush when scrambled. I used regular Firm Tofu.

32 comments:

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

Wat a tempting click,luks so healthy and delicious...

DEESHA said...

Thanks Premalatha :)

jeyashrisuresh said...

healthy and nutritious bhurji. have to start using tofu soon. nice click

Suja said...

Sounds delicious combo..looks tempting.

DEESHA said...

@Jeyashri: Tofu is incerdibly versatile .. Start using :)

@Suja: Thanks

Sharmilee! :) said...

Looks and sounds healthy and delicious..looks yumm

Reva said...

Wow... this combo is so new to me but looks so delicious:) Loved your presentation:)
Reva

anamika said...

i made it today and it turned out way better than i expected..thanks for letting me know :)

kittymatti said...

A sure healthy n tasty recipe!

Hari Chandana said...

Sounds interesting.. thanks for the recipe :)
Indian Cuisine

Nithya said...

This definitely would be delicious :) and can keep the eggs away :)

Sobha Shyam said...

i like tofu..this is a great recipe..liked adding spinach..tht makes it more healthy !!

Priya said...

Wonderful combo, simply inviting and healthy..

Paaka Shaale said...

The bhurjee looks delicious. Great shot :)

Madhavi said...

Always love your food clicks...and scramble lokks yummmoo..

http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

Prathibha said...

I always add peas for my bhurji...palak sounds nice addition too...needless 2 say nice click..

Nitha said...

Delicious bhurji...

Sush said...

I do something similar with paneer as we are off to tofu. Picture looks very neat.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Wonderful combo,nice recipe and beautiful click!

M D said...

The scramble looks yum and loved ur photography!

Gulmohar said...

Loved the way you have jazzed up tofu. My family wouldn't eat tofu if it is not something like this ;-)

Kalyani said...

looks delicious and a new recipe to me .... will try some time ......

DEESHA said...

@Gulmohar: If I wouldn't have jazzed up tofu this way, I wouldn't have eaten it either :)

Anonymous said...

I am the only one who can say its not just the photo but even the taste was very very good :)

torwen said...

I love tofu scramble for sunday brunches but I never tried it with spinach - nor with Indian spices. Thanks for the great Idea. I will try it this weekend :)
And I think it looks gorgeous on your photo, don't worry1

Supriya said...

Very nice recipe Deesha. I was looking to use up a block of tofu when I stumbled upon ur tofu spinach scramble. I made it yesterday & we all loved it.

Aarthi said...

This looks yummy....you have a lovely blog...I am having a giveaway in my blog..Y dont you check and join that
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/2011/05/chocolate-recipe-and-chocolate.html

Vardhini said...

So healthy and yummy. Following you for more yummy recipes.

Also inviting you over to my space :)

Vardhini
VardhinisKitchen

Archy said...

Yummy!! looks so gud!! tried with paneer.. will try this too..

Priya Sreeram said...

the scramble looks super delish, nice way to jazz it up

Rekha shoban said...

hi deesha,first time to ur blog....u have got very nice recipes....im glad to follow u...

rekha shoban
http://indianreceipes-rekha.blogspot.com/

Wholesale Printing said...

Interest to read. Thanks For Update. Pls Update More newsPostcard Printing