I love using chickpeas in my dishes .. I think its my favorite legume, because its always stocked up in my pantry & I end up using this more often than any other legume. And, Choley is another easy Punjabi dish that is very simple, hearty & nutritious.
If you have soaked chickpeas on hand, this takes really very few minutes, which is why I end up making this very often on weekdays.
There are numerous ways in which this is made .. Sometimes, chopped tomatoes are used instead of puree & sometimes, cooked onions & a handful of chickpeas is ground into a paste, to add more body to the gravy. While, I don't grind the onions, I mostly like using tomato puree instead of chopped tomatoes. Tomato puree adds more base to the gravy & gives a nice red color, which I love
You Will Need:
- 1 cup chickpeas - cleaned & soaked overnight or for 6 hrs
- 2 red onions - chopped
- 150 ml - Tomato puree ( I Used store bought )
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tso chopped garlic
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 tsp Chana Masala powder ( I used Everest Brand )
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- Salt as per taste
- 3 tsp oil
- Coriander - for Garnish
- Pressure cook chickpeas with a tsp of salt. once done, drain & reserve stock & set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add ginger & garlic. Saute for about 30 secs. Add chopped onions & a pinch of turmeric. Saute until they turn pink.
- Now, add red chilli powder, chana masala powder, & mix well. Pour tomato puree & give it a gentle mix. Let it simmer for about 3 mins.
- Add cooked chickpeas, salt & garam masala & mix well. Add about 3/4 th cup of water & simmer for about 10 mins.
- Garnish with fresh coriander & transfer to a serving bowl
Serve with onion rings & lemon wedges, alomg with HOT Phulkas .. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: The longer the gravy sits, it tends to thicken a bit .. If you find the gravy thick, just add a little water & reheat before serving.
For Dilli Style Choley - Boil chickpeas with 1 tea bad & discard the tea bag later. And, add about 1/2 a tsp of Anardana Powder along with Everest Chole Masala. This lends a deep brown color to the dish & add a slight tart taste.