Here's another sweet post from me because, Yours Truly celebrates her Birthday today .. So here is one of my favorite desserts but with a slight twist. Yes, its Rasmalai with a hint of Mango ..
I made these using store bought Rasgullas, but if you have time, you can make Rasgullas from scratch. If you are hosting someone at a very short notice, & you want you add your own touch, then this is a perfect dessert.
The addition of Mango pulp gives it a lovely flavor, but do not over do with it. You do not want the Rasmalai to be tasting like Mango Kheer. If you are using about 500ml milk, then pulp from half a mango is sufficient.
You Will Need:
- 4 Rasgullas - I used store bought
- 500 ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- A few strands of saffron
- Pulp of 1/2 a mango - coarsely crushed with hand
- 2 tsp chopped dry fruits ( cashwenuts, almonds, pistachios )
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add milk & sugar. Simmer for about 20 mins until it thickens slightly. Add saffronn strands. Set aside & allow it to cool.
- Add mango pulp & give it a stir to mix well.
- Gently squeeze the rasgullas to remove as much sugar syrup as possible. Do not break them.
- Drop them in milk & garnish with dry fruits. Chill for a few hours before serving.
NOTE: You can use any variety of mango that you like. I love crushing the pulp with my hands because I love that coarse texture & you can bite into some of the pulp.