July 7, 2011

South Indies: Broken Wheat Pongal

As a South Indian, I love Rice & there are no two ways about it. But, there was a time when I was watching my weight, & I stayed away from rice as much as possible, limiting its consumption to about twice a week. Did I miss eating rice?? Yes, BIG time ..

And this Broken Wheat Pongal was my closest substitute to rice .. Not in terms of taste, but cooked moong dal & broken wheat did create that mushy texture, somewhat similar to traditional Pongal .. So this was what my Lunch/Dinner would be, whenever I missed rice ..

Broken Wheat Pongal

You Will Need:
  • 1 cup Moong Dal
  • 1 cup Broken Wheat
  • 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
  • A sprig of Curry Leaves
  • A few cashewnuts
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp grated ginger
  • 3 green chillies - slit
  • 1 tbsp Desi Ghee
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp grated coconut
  • Salt as per taste
How To:
  • Clean broken wheat & moong dal under running water. Pressure cook until mushy. when done, gently mash with the back of a ladle & set aside
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee, splutter cumin seeds, add grated ginger, green chillies, cashewnuts, curry leaves, crushed black pepper & saute for a few secs.
  • Add cooked broken wheat & moong dal. Add turmeric & water & mix gently.
  • Add milk & check for salt. Add grated coconut & more water to get the desired consistency & heat gently.

Transfer to a serving bowl & top with a tsp of ghee before serving .. Serve HOT .. Enjoi !!!

NOTE: Why I add milk, is because it lends a nice creamy texture to the dish. You may replace it with additional water, if you want to

16 comments:

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Love the idea. Will make tomorrow....

Rekha shoban said...

wow!!lovely pongal...tempting click!

Krithi's Kitchen said...

Healthy and tasty subsitute for rice.. good one..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
Roundup: Healing Foods - Banana
Event: Serve It - Grilled/Barbequed/Tandoored

Reva said...

This looks fabulous... A lovely idea to substitute rice:) Superb..
Reva

Laavanya said...

Fabulous looking pongal! :) I love broken wheat too and you are right abt it being a good substitute for rice. I never thought it was possible growing up... but I do actually miss rice - now that I'm older.

Priya said...

Simply irresistible,wat a healthy twist to our usual pongal..yumm!

Sobha Shyam said...

healthy n yummy pongal, my fav..

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

wow, that looks superb and healthy and complete meal :)

Vardhini said...

I just made pongal .. broken wheat version sounds interesting.


Vardhini
Event: Fast food not Fat food

Priti said...

I do the same Deeps ...it's a regular at home now ...though I never added milk ...next time will try it

Sharmilee! :) said...

Wow healthy n yummy pongal

Prathibha said...

Healthy n yummy pongal deepthi...looks delicious

Curry Leaf said...

Wow. Never added milk before in a savory version

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Nice idea..healthy pongal.... looks absolutely delicious.

Indie.Tea said...

The pongal sounds really really delicious. Very comforting too.

ANU said...

very healthy and looks yummy...

very nice space...

happy to follow you dear....

chk out my space too..
http://anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com/