As a South Indian, I love Rice & there are no two ways about it. But, there was a time when I was watching my weight, & I stayed away from rice as much as possible, limiting its consumption to about twice a week. Did I miss eating rice?? Yes, BIG time ..
And this Broken Wheat Pongal was my closest substitute to rice .. Not in terms of taste, but cooked moong dal & broken wheat did create that mushy texture, somewhat similar to traditional Pongal .. So this was what my Lunch/Dinner would be, whenever I missed rice ..
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Moong Dal
- 1 cup Broken Wheat
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- A few cashewnuts
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 green chillies - slit
- 1 tbsp Desi Ghee
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- Salt as per taste
- Clean broken wheat & moong dal under running water. Pressure cook until mushy. when done, gently mash with the back of a ladle & set aside
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee, splutter cumin seeds, add grated ginger, green chillies, cashewnuts, curry leaves, crushed black pepper & saute for a few secs.
- Add cooked broken wheat & moong dal. Add turmeric & water & mix gently.
- Add milk & check for salt. Add grated coconut & more water to get the desired consistency & heat gently.
Transfer to a serving bowl & top with a tsp of ghee before serving .. Serve HOT .. Enjoi !!!
NOTE: Why I add milk, is because it lends a nice creamy texture to the dish. You may replace it with additional water, if you want to