September 30, 2011

South Indies: Halbai

If you are not from Karnataka, then Halbai is probably unheard of .. Halbai is a traditional sweet from the Bangalore/Mysore regions of Karnataka. For those who are unaware, it is quite difficult to explain what Halbai is, Probably the best way to put it is, its a cross between Halwa & Burfi ..  It is typically made with whole wheat grains, coconut & Jaggery. There are other versions of Halbai that are made using Rice, Ragi or even Poha .. Of all the versions, I love the one made with Wheat grains, the best

Preparing Halbai is quite a tedious process &  you need to practice hard to get the right consistency & texture. To be very honest, I am not very good in dishing out these beauties. My Dad makes this every year & is quite an expert. He made them a couple of days ago & insisited that I put this up on my blog. I was quite reluctant as Halbai is not a very photogenic dish. I tried to photograph them last year & the photos turned horribly bad. This is such a beautiful tasty dish & I didn't want anyone to be put off & not give it a try because of bad pictures :-)

This time, my Mom sent my a big box of Halbai all cut into uniform square pieces with a special mention that I had to do a post this time .. Special Thanks to Mom & Dad for sending these over ..

Halbai

You Will Need:
  • 1 cup whole wheat grains - cleaned & soaked overnight
  • 1 cup freshly grated coconut
  • 2 cup grated jaggery
  • 5 tbsp Desi Ghee
  • 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
  • 3 cups water
How To:
  • Grind the wheat grains into a smooth paste using little water & strain. Repeat the process twice & discard the residue
  • Grind coconut into a very smooth paste & set aside.
  • In a large heavy bottomed vessel, add water, jaggery, & bring it to a boil, once the jaggery melts, add ground coconut & wheat along with cardamom powder & about 3 tbsp of ghee & bring to a gentle boil.
  • Keep on stirring till the whole mixtures thickens. This should take about 45 mins to an hour.
  • The mixture should leave the sides of the pan. When completely cooked, the mixture is non sticky & gets a uniform gloss. Add another 2 tbsp of ghee & mix well.
  • Spread on a greased plate & allow it to cool. Once cool, cut into squares & serve
  • It should stay in the refregirator for about 8 days.
NOTE:
  • This proportion yields about 20-25 pieces depending upon the size
  • For a quick easy version, you can use whole wheat flour too
  • Before taking it off the pan, do a test. Take a tsp of the mixture & spread on a greaded plate. It should be able to come off without sticking to the plate. This ensures that it is done.

28 comments:

Priya said...

Halbai looks tempting and elegant, delicious..

Rekha shoban said...

halbai looks perfect....cute presntation n clik!

Priti said...

Looks so delicious and lovely pic Deeps ...so sweet of your parents ...great work

Keerthana@LifeandSpice said...

Halabai is one of my favs too and these have come out great!

Prathibha said...

Halbai looks very delicious n u did justice 2 d fotos...it tastes excellent!!

uma shankar said...

Something new!has come out so perfect and nice picture!it looks festive

Nithya said...

Beautiful looking sweet :) I havent heard of it and would love it taste it sometime :) Wish someone sends me a parcel too :P

Sanjeeta kk said...

The squares look tempting and the process is almost similar to transparent Karachi halwa. Lovely click.

Pavithra said...

Beautiful shot and the Halabai looks too good and yumm

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

wat a yummy recipe,click is too gud...

Shri said...

Deesha, that way many of our traditional south indian sweets are not 'extravagant' looking in the sense of today's pop culture...but we all know the complex and divine flavours that come through.
This recipe is a first and it looks delectable; glad your father insisted on this! :-)

jayasree said...

A completely new dish to me...I don't remember having come across this in any other blog. Thanks to your parents that we get to see this. Anything with jaggery piques my interest.

DEESHA said...

@Shri - what you say is so totally true. Once, someone told me that south indian food is not classy enough, I got so offended. I just that we never worry about the presentation. Me says, in terms of flavors n balanced food, south Indian cuisine is the best

Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal said...

wow, that looks great, but like you said, the process does look tedious. But, you know how they say, with all that time and effort, it got to taste good :)

Vani said...

Best looking halbai there! I posted my mom's shortcut version with wheat flour a long time ago. This sweet just doesn't look good usually but it's taste will blow everyone away.

aipi said...

How festive n elegant ~ thanks for sharing!
USMasala

Kannada Cuisine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kannada Cuisine said...

Wow!! I have never come across such pretty looking Halbai all my life...My draft is unpublished for almost two years cos I never got to get them pretty

Love every bite of it :)

Poornima Nair said...

I have never heard of this dish...but it sure looks verrrry tempting!!

Akila said...

wow very new to me... love it...

Dish Name Starts With K
Learning-to-cook
Regards,
Akila

notyet100 said...

Wish ya happy festival,..this looks so delicious,perfect click,

Laavanya said...

Oh wow.. this looks awesome! I can't say i've heard or tasted this before but can't wait to try.

bhakti said...

Great receipe. very Tempting sweet dish.

bhakti

bhakti said...

Very nice clik & receipe. My all time favourite.

bhakti

Debalina said...

I have not heard before . Neverthe less a very nice clik. Dish is tempting.

Debalina

Radhika | Just Home Made said...

Deepthi,
Just the other day we were discussing about it and I get to see it today, so happy! Gotto try this sometime..
Your Halbai looks just perfect and
that uddharani is totally adorable!

Harini said...

Sometime back one of my friends in office mentioned this sweet saying it was something her grandma made when they were kids and that it was vegan. She did not know the recipe so I am really glad you posted it! And the photograph looks divine! Thanks to your mom and dad for sending it to you.:) I will try it sometime.

Springbird said...

Was looking for Halbai and bumped into ur blog. You have a nice space created here. You re so true about the dish only bangaloreans know(including mysore ��). Thanks for the recipe, am giving it a try will post back if it turns out well.
Soumyarun.blogspot.com