Shankar turned an year older last sunday & since it was a holiday; I wanted to bake him a cake with him . But our plans changed the last minute, & we ended up spending the entire day outdoors .. I finally found the time to bake a cake this morning .. .. A few months ago, I brought a small Banana cake loaf from the local bakery & Shankar loved it as it wasn't overy sweet .. Although terribly late, Banana Walnut Loaf Cake was what I baked for the Birthday Boy ..
I got the recipe from here & it definitely is for keeps.
You Will Need:
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter - softened
- 1 1/3 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Cocoa powder
- 80g chopped walnuts
- 3 large ripe bananas - mashed
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tso Bicarbonate of Soda
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In a large bowl, put the butter, sugar & eggs. beat well with a hand blender. Add mashed bananas to the mixture & give it a good mix
- In another bowl, sift the flour, Soda, cinnamon powder, cocoa powder.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Stir in yogurt & walnuts.
- Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan & spoon the mixture & level the surface. Bake for the hour.
- Let it cool on a rack. Unmould & cut into slices
Serve warm with some Coffee or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream by the side & serve as a dessert .. Enjoi !!
- The original recipe calls for chocolate chips, I replaced it with walnute instead.
- I also reduced the amount of cocoa powder from 1 tbsp to 1 tsp. We loved the very slight hint of chocolate