Okay, so I finally made a Quinoa dish , almost 3 months after I bought a packet of Quinoa :) I had this sudden urge to eat some healthy low calorie food, & Quinoa Upma is what I made for today's lunch
And did I like the taste?? Yes only if cooked with loads of seasonings as Quinoa is quite bland on its own. But its nutritional value makes it up for everything else. Next time, I will make a spicy Quinoa Pulao & will use it in Porridge as well .. Watch out for the recipe
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 small onion - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - diced
- 1 green pepper - diced
- 1 potato - diced
- 2 green chillies - chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- fresh Coriander for garnish
- Dry roast quinoa for a couple of minutes. Set aside. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add quinoa & let it cook for about 10 mins on medium flame. Add additional water if required. When completely cooked, fluff with a fork & set aside.
- In a wok, heat oil, splutter mustard & cumin seeds. Add turmeric, green chillies, ginger & stir. Throw in chopped onions & saute for a couple of mins. Add the rest of the vegetables & some salt & give it a good stir. Add a couple of tbsps of water so that the vegetables don't stick to the pan.
- When the vegetables are completely cooked yet crisp, add quinoa & lemon juice. Check for salt & mix well. Let it stand on low flame for about 2 mins.
- Turn off the stove & garnish with fresh chopped coriander.