October 28, 2011

Vermicelli Kheer | Diwali & Some Hand Painted Diyas

I hope you guys had a cracker of a Diwali .. I wanted to do a post on Indian sweets much before Diwali but then I got really busy with shopping & preparations ..
And, 2 days before the festival, I grated my finger yet another time, & this time it was a pretty bad one. I meant that I couldn't do any major cooking on Diwali, but I managed to make a simple Vermicelli Kheer

I should have ideally posted this on Diwali but this time, I was so much into hand painted Diyas this time, that I didn't want to do a post .. I painted quite a few of them & I loved it ..
Have a look at my Diyas here  .. Lovely isnt't it??

Diya


Now the Vermicelli Kheer .. The simplest Indian Dessert .. 

Vermicilli Kheer


You Will Need:
  • 1 litre Milk
  • 1/2 cup Vermicelli
  • 1/2 cup Sugar or more if you need
  • 1 tsp Ghee
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
  • Broken cashews & almonds for garnish
How To:
  • If you are not using pre roasted vermicelli, roast them in a tsp of ghee until golden brown. Set aside. I used Pre roasted Vermicelli, so I skipped this step, which is why you will see that the vermicelli is not golden brown here.
  • Bring milk to a boil, add vermicelli & stir. Let it simmer for about 15 mins until the vermicelli has cooked. Add sugar & stir well. Let it simmer for another 10 mins. The kheer should have thickened by now. But it should have a pouring consistency. If you find that the kheer has thickened a lot, add some more milk & sugar & simmer for another 2-3 mins.
  • Fry cashews & almonds in ghee until golden in color. Add them to the kheer along with cardamom powder.
The kheer will thicken further once it cools down, so keep this in mind & adjust the consistency accordingly. Serve Hot or chilled .. Enjoi !!

20 comments:

Santosh Bangar said...

deliciosh paysam diyas are beautiful

simply.food said...

Beautiful presentation and click.kneed looks delectable.As for the divas they look very pretty.

DEESHA said...

Thanks both of you .. That was really quick

Paaka Shaale said...

Delicious payasa!!! Love the way you ahve presented it in a panchapatre and uddharane :)

uma shankar said...

beautiful diyas and lovely payasam

Shoba Shrinivasan said...

oh lovely...i chanced to your site from Finla`s...and I loved your clicks and the hand painted diyas! how did you get them in such unusual shapes? where dod you pick them up in bangalore? loved the payasam clicks...it is the simplest and also the tastiest!

Shobha

aipi said...

Beautiful payasam n gorgeous diyas ~ very festive!
USMasala

Kalpana Sareesh said...

too good kheer n beautiful diyas....

Priya said...

Woww cute and elegant diyas, super delicious kheer,fantastic clicks..

Cham said...

Did u painted,cool :) love the color combo! Ouch grating finger not the one we expect in festival time. Hope it is better now. Like the Kheer and pict too!

Spandana said...

The kheer looks very delicious and lovely presentation...
And such lovely looking diyas...

Rekha shoban said...

colourful post.....delicious kheer!

DEESHA said...

Shobha Shrinivasan: Thanks, you get these diyas all over Bangalore. I picked a few in Jayanagar n a few more in Gandhi Bazaar. But I saw them everywhere else too

Sharmilee! :) said...

Creamy and yummy kheer

Rachana said...

The kheer looks delicious and the deeyas look so pretty :-) Loved it.

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Very well decorated Diyas and the vermicelli kheer looks so divinely presented!

Laavanya said...

The diyas look very beautiful...

Daksha said...

Sev kheer looks delicious!! nice diyas. Happy Diwali!

Uma said...

Kheer looks so tempting and delicious. Diyas are so pretty!! Hope you had a wonderful Diwali.
Uma@Trendy Relish

Anh said...

The kheer look absolutely stunning!