A Classic Breakfasts must be eaten in leisure along with some strong Filter Kaapi which is why it is reserved for weekends at home ..
It's raining Avarakai everywhere .. Do you need a better reason to make this??
I add a bunch of finely chopped Dill leaves, which lends a very beautiful flavour to the Upma .. This is optional though but Highly recommended, if you love Dill leaves
Broken Rice Upma takes longer to cook than the regular Rava Upma & it needs more water too .. Every cup of broken rice needs a little more than 2 cups of water to cook completely
Let's Make 'Akki Tari Uppittu' with 'Avarekai' .. Shall We??
- Pressure cook or boil Avarekalu or flat beans in salted water. Drain & set aside
- In a pan, dry roast Broken Rice for a couple of mins .. Don't allow it to change color
- Heat Desi Ghee in a heavy bottom pan/kadhai .. Splutter cumin seeds & half of the cracked pepper. Add green chilies too & saute for about 20 secs.
- Add Dill leaves & saute for about 2 mins. Add 2 cups of water into the pan, Add salt & bring it to a boil. As the water begins to boil, slowly add the beans & gently add broken rice as you keep stirring the mixture continuously to avoid any lumps.
- Stir the mixture well. Add additional water if needed & cover with a lid for about 2-3 mins.
- Add grated coconut, remaining cracked pepper & mix well to incorporate. Turn off the stove & transfer to a serving bowl .. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander
Serve HOT with a dollop of Desi Ghee .. In Karnataka, it is very common to serve some Yogurt/Chutney Pudi/Pickle along with Upma .. Enjoi !!! And, Don't forget the Filter Coffee ...