I've been on a baking spree since a couple of days & since we don't have a sweet tooth, its various kinds of savory cookies & crackers that have been made .. Baked Nippattu or Savoury Onion Crackers are very famous in Bangalore & Iyengar Bakeries here are known for their super crunchy Baked Nippatus.
These are very easy to make & you can hardly ever go wrong with them, unless you overbake & burn them. But my only worry was the texture since I was using whole wheat flour & oats instead off All Purpose Flour. They came out super crunchy & you cannot make out its made out of whole wheat unless mentioned
Makes 12-15 Nippatus
You Will Need:
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup instant oats
- 1 big onion - very finely chopped
- 6 green chillies - finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup Oil - I used Sunflower Oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt as per taste
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
- In a pan, roast oats slightly & make a fine powder.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients one by one except water. Mix well & add water little at a time and knead well to make a soft dough. cover with a damp cloth & set aside for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Pinch small balls of dough & flatten them with your hands, as evenly as possible. If you wish to get even edges, cut the with a round cookie cutter or a lid
- Arrange them on a greased baking tray. Prick all over with a fork. Bake for 25-30 mins or until golden brown. I flipped the crackers, 15 mins into the baking time
- Allow them to cool & store them in air-tight jars
Enjoy with some Filter Kaapi / Masala Chai ..