Chane Ka Shorba | Indian Spiced Chickpea Soup

Friday, June 08, 2012

I am seriously done with restaurants that serve greasy & spice laden food in the name of Punjabi Cuisine. I didn't grow up eating Punjabi food, but I for sure know that  what you get in such restaurants is not what is typically cooked in a Punjabi household. So, when I happen to visit a Punjabi restaurant, I am always on the lookout for something that has subtle flavours & is relatively less greasy. For how long can one enjoy the very rich  Paneer Butter Masala & Butter or Butter Kulcha anyways?


DSC_1304

We went out for dinner at this typical Punjabi restaurant many moons ago & I happened to order Chane ka Shorba - A delicately spiced Indian Chickpea Soup. It is not very often that I try to recreate what I order at fancy restaurants but then I fell in love with this shorba so I had to make  this again.

This Shorba was originally made with Kaale Chane or Black Chickpeas. Since, I didn't have any on hand,  I made use of the white one. I reckon, you can even use Sprouted Chickpeas.

Since, I didn't have a recipe on hand, this is loosely based on whatever my tastebuds could predict. But then, it was really really close to the original :)

DSC_1343


You Will Need:

  • 1/2 cup chickpeas - soaked overnight or for 8hrs
  • 1 big onion - roughly chopped
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes - roughly chopped
  • 3 green chillies
  • 1 tsp Everest Chole Masala
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1/4 cup cream or 1/2 cup milk
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 2 cups water/vegetable stock
  • Fresh coriander for garnish

How To:
  • Pressure cook chickpeas, with a pinch of salt, until soft. Set aside.
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, heat butter. Splutter cumin seeds. Add onions & tomatoes along with green chillies, ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a couple of mins. Add Choley Masala & saute until the onions & tomatoes are soft & mushy. Set aside & allow it to cool
  • Blend together chicikpeas & the onion tomato mixture until smooth.
  • Strain into a soup pot. Add 2 cups of water/vegetable stock & heat it gently. Add Garam Masala, Salt to taste & cream. Simmer for about 10 mins on low heat.
  • If using milk instead of cream, reduce the amount of water/vegetable stock
  • Garnish with fresh coriander & Serve Hot

You Might Also Like

17 comments