June 8, 2012

Chane Ka Shorba | Indian Spiced Chickpea Soup

I am seriously done with restaurants that serve greasy & spice laden food in the name of Punjabi Cuisine. I didn't grow up eating Punjabi food, but I for sure know that  what you get in such restaurants is not what is typically cooked in a Punjabi household. So, when I happen to visit a Punjabi restaurant, I am always on the lookout for something that has subtle flavours & is relatively less greasy. For how long can one enjoy the very rich  Paneer Butter Masala & Butter or Butter Kulcha anyways?


DSC_1304

We went out for dinner at this typical Punjabi restaurant many moons ago & I happened to order Chane ka Shorba - A delicately spiced Indian Chickpea Soup. It is not very often that I try to recreate what I order at fancy restaurants but then I fell in love with this shorba so I had to make  this again.

This Shorba was originally made with Kaale Chane or Black Chickpeas. Since, I didn't have any on hand,  I made use of the white one. I reckon, you can even use Sprouted Chickpeas.

Since, I didn't have a recipe on hand, this is loosely based on whatever my tastebuds could predict. But then, it was really really close to the original :)

DSC_1343


You Will Need:

  • 1/2 cup chickpeas - soaked overnight or for 8hrs
  • 1 big onion - roughly chopped
  • 2 medium sized tomatoes - roughly chopped
  • 3 green chillies
  • 1 tsp Everest Chole Masala
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1/4 cup cream or 1/2 cup milk
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 2 cups water/vegetable stock
  • Fresh coriander for garnish

How To:
  • Pressure cook chickpeas, with a pinch of salt, until soft. Set aside.
  • In a heavy bottomed pan, heat butter. Splutter cumin seeds. Add onions & tomatoes along with green chillies, ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a couple of mins. Add Choley Masala & saute until the onions & tomatoes are soft & mushy. Set aside & allow it to cool
  • Blend together chicikpeas & the onion tomato mixture until smooth.
  • Strain into a soup pot. Add 2 cups of water/vegetable stock & heat it gently. Add Garam Masala, Salt to taste & cream. Simmer for about 10 mins on low heat.
  • If using milk instead of cream, reduce the amount of water/vegetable stock
  • Garnish with fresh coriander & Serve Hot

17 comments:

SreeBindu said...

i love chick peas perfectly tempered :) looks yumm..
xoxo

DEESHA said...

Thanks SreeBindu

Priya said...

Delicious and super tempting soup.

ANU said...

wow never heard of this! sounds interesting!...nice clicks!

SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series
Only Mango - June 1st to 30th
Dish It Out - Black Beans and Bell Pepper - June 1st to 30th

Unknown said...

Yummy recipe and a stunning capture. I loved that cute bowl. Looks very rustic:)

zareena said...

A perfect Punjabi delicacy. Looks delicious.

Akila said...

Looks awesome...

Ongoing Event: Dish Name Starts With M till July 15th
Learning-to-cook

Regards,
Akila

Tina said...

Delicious soup..

Shweta in the Kitchen said...

Hi Deesha,

Thats a nice one. Great clicks.

Inviting u to visit my space
http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

this is a new one... would love the flavors of this! yummy dish again!

Pragyan said...

That's quite an innovative soup with Indian flavors! Going to make it soon!

Nagashree said...

New to me, though masalas sound familiar, I haven't tasted any with chole ground up, will try it for sure.

LG said...

very filling soup and looks appetising :)

chinmayie @ love food eat said...

This looks very interesting. WIll try it sometime :)

M D said...

Hey Deesha,

So true about the Punjabi restaurants and home cooking. My Punjabi husband should be able to vouch on that! Your chickpea soup looks fabulous.

I am in serious love with the mat you've placed as background prop. Beautiful!

jik said...

Great recipe . Happy to be here. Thanks

plasterers bristol said...

Love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Simon