It has been raining in Namma Bengalooru for the past one week or so. This means, we have bid goodbye to Summer & the famous Bangalore weather is back.
I made a large pot of tomato soup to welcome monsoon. And, I am glad that Soup Nights are back again
You Will Need:
- 1 large onion
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 green chillies
- juice of 3 oranges
- 2 tbsp fresh cream (optional)
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp any cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- Chilli flakes for garnish
- Parsley for garnish
Roughly chop the onions & tomatoes & set aside. Dice the carrot, cook them, Puree in a blender & set aside.
In a cooking pot, heat oil, add ginger, onions & saute for a couple of minutes. Add green chillies & tomatoes with some salt. Saute until the tomatoes are nicely cooked & tender. Set aside & allow them to cool. Once cool, puree in a blender & strain.
Transfer the pureed mixture into the cooking pot, Add pureed carrots, Milk, some water to adjust the consistency. Add tomato puree & check for salt. Allow it to simmer for about 5-8 mins. Add fresh cream, if using, Orange zest & orange juice. Whisk well & simmer for a couple of mins. Turn off the flame.
Pour into individual soup bowls, Garnish with chilli flakes, cracked pepper & fresh parsley.
- I used freshly squeezed orange juice. I haven't tried adding canned juice but I have a feeling that it might taste bitter.
- Pureed carrots not only add colour to the soups but it also cuts the tartness of tomatoes. Make sure you add them