December 27, 2013

Smoky Black Bean Soup


I know I am too late to be wishing Merry Christmas but all the festivity is still in air & I hope everyone's enjoying the holiday season. We haven't been able to take off due to some work commitments & also that Kedar is still small we have to think twice before any plans are made. But we are enjoying some quite time at home.

I haven't baked much this season apart for the Masala Biscuits I made over the last weekend to go with some chai, I have been eating this really yummy Plum Cake that the husband bought from the bakery in his office campus. Yumm de Yumm I tell you.

The weather in Bangalore is Brrrr right now which makes it perfect for a nice Soup like this. Full of flavor & packed with a punch. This was what I made on Christmas Night & we enjoyed it with some nice garlic bread.


You Will Need:

  • 1 cup Black Beans - soaked overnight or for a min of 6 hrs
  • 1 onion - chopped
  • 2 large tomatoes
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic -  finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper - chopped I used half a red & half a yellow
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp salsa - I used store bought
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 tsp cooking oil
  • Fresh Parsley for garnish
  • 2 1/2 cups or more of Vegetable stock
How To:

Pressure cook black beans until tender. Allow it to cool & mash with a potato masher & set aside. Over a gas flame, fire roast the tomatoes until cooked. Fire roast the onion as well. once cool, blend into a smooth paste.

Heat oil in a soup pot, add chopped bell peppers, garlic, cumin & oregano & saute until the bell peppers are tender. Add black beans, 2 1/2 cups of vegetable stock or water, salsa & some salt. Add the onion & tomato paste as well & Bring it to a gentle boil while stirring at regular intervals. simmer for about 6-8 mins. 

If you find the soup too thick add some more stock or water to adjust the consistency. Pour into individual soup bowls & garnish with Parsley & serve Hot with a crusty bread

NOTE:

  • Use Canned Black Beans to save cooking time
  • Since Salsa already has some salt, go easy on salt 

7 comments:

Prathibha said...

Lovely receipe

Prathibha

Rajani said...

Your soup and the soup bowl look so charming! And the recipe, a must do for me now!

Lakshmi Raj said...

The soup looks very tasty! I have been trying to prepare it but I am not able to get the Parsley which you mentioned. I just searched even in http://qusec.in/ and big basket!! I just want to know if its known by any other name or whether it can be replaced by any other ingredient!! And thanks for the recipe..

Rajani said...

Hi,
Made this soup minus the black eyed bean for potluck. It was liked by all. Thank you for this 'smoking hot' recipe!

Peter Nicolson said...

Nice blog. I liked it. Keep going.

Gayathri Sathyanarayanan said...

soup and bowl both are too good.

Rashmi Pai said...

I just liked the recipe a lot. It is actually easy to make too. I have ordered all the ingredients in an online supermarket and will be trying it out too soon.
Thanks.