Raw Mango Dal

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

This space has been silent for a very long time, much longer than intended. I haven't got my blogging mojo back as yet but I will still manage a post once in a while. Also,it's been so long since I wrote something, I have a major writer's block & I seem to have nothing much to say :)

Summer is here & so are the Mangoes. And along with it comes loads of mango based dishes. This Raw Mango Dal is easily one of my favorite summer recipes.

Raw Mango Dal 

My Neighbour makes a killer Mango Dal & this recipe is hers. I have of course tweaked it a little to suit outr taste buds. The only change I have made is the addition of garlic which in my opinion takes this dish to a different level


You Will Need:
  • 1 Raw Mango
  • 1 cup Tuvar Dal 
  • 2 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder 
  • 4-5 cloves of Garlic - finely chopped 
  • Salt as per taste
  • Fresh Coriander for garnish 
To Temper:

  • 1 tablespoon Ghee
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
  • 2 Dry Red Chilies - Broken 

How To:

Peel the skin & dice the mangoes & set aside. Pressure cook Toor Dal with a tsp of cooking oil & turmeric along with diced mangoes. Let the pressure drop. once cool, give it a gentle mash. Add 1 cup of water, red chilli powder & some salt & bring to a boil. Add more water if required to bring it to a pouring consistency. Simmer on low flame for 5 mins.

Heat Ghee in a small pan. Temper with cumin seeds along with chopped garlic & dry red chillies. Pour over dal & garnish with fresh coriander before serving.

Serve with warm steamed Rice.  

You Might Also Like

6 comments