July 29, 2014

Spaghetti in a Super Quick Tomato & Cashew Sauce


I didn't intend to take such a long break from blogging but juggling hazaar things with an active toddler is by no means an easy task. Whenever I take a look at some of my favorite blogs/cookbooks or even food shows, I realize, how much I miss food photography & blogging. I do plan to work on that soon. 

Pasta is not my Dad's favorite dish but this post is for him because every time I visit him, he makes it a point to ask me about my long forgotten blog. And Every Single time, I make a mental note to come back home & then it never happens. He asked me the very same question last evening so this afternoon  I made this simple pasta for lunch & quickly did all the photography & the recipe is here. 

Thanks Dad, for being the first one to read my posts, every single time :)

Ok so, Pasta does feature in my list of comfort foods. And, this super quick sauce made with tomatoes & cashews is my go to recipe. I picked up the recipe from VeganYumYum many moons ago & it has been a favourite since then.



Spaghetti in a simple Tomato Sauce with Red Peppers & Olives


The sauce uses very few ingredients that are easily available in the pantry & is very very quick to whip up. The weather in Bangalore is at it's awesome best currently & the weather does demand for a bowl of  nice & creamy pasta 


You Will Need:

1 Packet Spaghetti 
3 large ripe Tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
4 cloves of Garlic
A handful of cashews
1 tsp cracked pepper
Salt as per taste
Black Olives
1 red  Bell pepper - diced
Fresh Parsley or Basil for garnish
1 tbsp Olive Oil 

How To:

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil & cook paste according to package instructions. While the pasta is cooking, Add roughly chopped tomatoes, garlic, tomato puree, garlic & cashews in a blender & blend until smooth. 

In a heavy bottomed pan, Heat olive oil  & saute diced peppers for a couple of minutes. Later, pour the sauce from the blender into the pan. Add some salt & let it simmer for about 5-6 mins, stirring occasionally. Add some water or milk  to get the desired consistency, if the sauce thickens too much

Once pasta is cooked, drain water & set aside. Add drained pasta into the pan, add some freshly cracked pepper & olives. Add chopped Basil or Parsley ( I used parsley) & toss to coat

Serve Immediately 

Note:

  • Replace Spaghetti with any other pasta of your liking
  • You may replace cashews with almonds or even fresh cream
  • Use whole Wheat Spaghetti for a healthier option


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect Recipe for nice Bangalore weather. must try

Rajani said...

Agree that a bowl of warm pasts sounds fab for the weather now.
Would like to try adding almonds to the sauce, something I've never tried before.

Nandita SS said...

It's so good to see your post Deepthi! I am bookmarking this recipe. I will have to try this soon :)