February 11, 2015

Peas Pulao

For a very long time, I struggled to make the perfect Peas Pulao, like the ones you get in restaurants. Perfect white & Grainy. I used to cook this as a one pot meal, all cooked together in a pressure cooker until I discovered the method of cooking Rice separately & then mixing it along with other ingredients. Now, My Peas Pulao turns out really well. White & Grainy just the way I like it

This really is very easy to put together and it makes for a quick meal if you have some guests over. Just pair it with a nice Dal or a curry & you are done,

Peas Pulao 

 You Will Need:
  • 1 cup Basmati Rice
  • 3/4th  cup Fresh/ Frozen Green Peas (I used fresh)
  • 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
  • 3 green chilies - slit
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • A few cloves
  • 1 tsp crushed Kasuri Methi
  • Salt as per taste
  • 2 tbsp desi ghee
  • A handful of cashew nuts 

How To:

Clean Basmati Rice in several changes of water. Drain & set aside for about 30 mins. In a small Pressure cooker, heat a tbsp desi ghee, add basmati rice & fry for a couple of minutes on low flame until aromatic. Add some salt & add about 1 1/2 cups of water & pressure cook.

Meanwhile, boil green peas with a bit of salt & set aside. Once the pressure releases, gently transfer the rice onto a wide plate or bowl & set aside to cool. Allow rice to cool completely

In a heavy bottomed Kadhai, Heat Ghee. Splutter cumin seeds, Add the green chillies, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cashew nuts & ginger garlic paste. Fry gently for half a minute. Add cooked green peas along with Kasuri Methi & give it a mix. Next, add the cooked rice & some salt & on a very low flame, give it a gentle mix. Let it stand on low flame for about a minute or so. 

Serve Warm with a nice curry on the side, I usually like to pair it up with a wholesome dal or a mixed vegetable curry

Note:

You may skip adding Kasuri Methi & I don't think its traditionally added here. But I like the flavour of Kasuri Methi so I add it to most of my dishes

If using frozen peas, there is no need to boil the peas separately. Add them directly to the Kadhai as Frozen Peas get cooked real fast

The 1: 1.5 Ratio of Rice:Water works well for me. A lot of people use the 1:2 ratio but somehow I end up with slightly mushy rice. Experiment with the ratio & couple of times & see what works for you. It also depends on the brand of Basmati Rice you use

1 comment:

Rajani said...

This looks like the perfect Peas Pulao ever...