January 18, 2016

The Fiery Chettinad Biryani

Here is a revamped post on Chettinad Biryani. The first time, I made this recipe was way back in 2009. I made it several times after that  And, somehow I never went back to making this version again. in a long time. Although, I have a few favourites, I keep trying new versions of to improvise. 

This recipe has been well received by my readers. A few of them wrote back to me mentioning that it turned out very well for them. So, do give it a try
You will love this version of Biryani, if you have a thing for Spicy Biryani. Chettinad Cuisine is known for its Spice after all 

Chettinad Biryani


The very first time I tried this Biryani was in Goa. We were away on a little getaway & it had been a couple of days since I had eaten rice & I was really craving for a big bowl of Rice & Dal. It was late in the night & a small eat out that we went to didn't have much rice options. Chettinad Biryani was on the list & I placed an order without expecting much. Goa isn't a place for Chettinad Cuisine anyway.

I had never tried Chettinad Biryani before & this one was one of the good Biryanis I had tasted. I came back home & did my  little research  to recreate the recipe. And, this is quite close


You Will Need:

  • 1 cup Basmati Rice
  • 1 Big Onion - sliced lengthwise
  • 2 carrots - cleaned & diced
  • 1/2 cup Green Peas - fresh/frozen
  • 1 big potato - peeled & diced
  • 2 tbsp Ghee
  • A small piece of ginger
  • 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • A handful of chopped fresh coriander
  • Juice of half a lime
  • Salt as per taste

To Roast & Grind:
  • 1 big onion 
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 5-6 cloves
  • A small stick of cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
  • 2 green cardamom
  • 2 Black Cardamom
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic
  • 7-8 Dry Red chilies - I used Byadagi Chilies 
  • 1 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/4th tsp black pepper
  • 1 tbsp fresh grated coconut

How To:

Clean Basmati Rice under running water until the water runs clear. Soak in ample water & set aside for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Immerse diced potatoes in water until put to use.

In a small pan, dry roast all the ingredients mentioned in the list, except Onios, tomatoes & garlic. Once the spices are aromatic & transfer into a mixie jar. In the same pan, heat a tsp of oil & add Garlic. Add onions & tomatoes & fry until they are well cooked. Allow it to cool a bit. transfer into the mixie jar & grind into a smooth paste along with ginger. Do not add any water.

In a Pressure cooker, heat Ghee. Add bay leaves. Now add sliced onions & fry till they turn pink. Now add the ground paste & give it a mix. Fry for a couple of minutes.

Now add all the vegetables one by one. Add Garam Masala, turmeric powder & mix well. Drain Basmati rice & add.

Now, add about 1 1/2 cups of water & add the salt. mix well with the spatula. Pressure cook for 1 whistle

Once the pressure drops, allow it to cool & bit. Add lime juice & garnish with coriander before serving. Fluff gently with a fork to avoid breakage.

Serve with slices of Onion & diced cucumber & a Raita of your choice.


NOTE:

Use good quality Basmati Rice. There are many brands available. I mostly use Daawat

You can make your own Biryani spice mix by dry roasting & powdering all the dry ingredients mentioned in the list. Store it in an airtight jar for later use. 

Not everyone loves a lot of spices in their Biryani. Reduce the amount of spices, if its not your liking



73 comments:

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow superb flavourful and aromatic biryani...

Neha said...

Quite a flavourful biryani, i too love one pot meals...

Madhumathi said...

Wow!Biryani looks mouthwatering..I could smell the aroma of the briyani here :)

Asha said...

Excellent! I was always looking looking for Chettinad Biryani, looks as I expected and fabulous ingredients. Thanks for posting Deesha, hugs! :)

Yasmeen said...

Love the loads of veggies in the biryani:)

vidhas said...

Deesha, Biriyani looks yum. My husband's favourite. surely will give a try.

Priya said...

Quite a delicious dish...Looks too gorgeous...

Arundathi said...

that biryani looks fabulous. i hardly ever see good looking vegetable biryani! yum!

Laavanya said...

I've not tasted Chettinad biryani before but just reading the ingredients tells how special this is going to be.

Sara said...

I love the way this looks, so colorful! I'm sure it tastes amazing too.

luckysanjana said...

Hey that sure looks like my kind of biryani really spicy......I just made a vegetable biryani for holi........come and check it out if you like......

Trupti said...

Deesha, I never tried this biryani but biryani looks very mouthwatering.

Priti said...

Umm looks yum Disha dear...hope you had gud day celebrating your anniversary..

Happy cook said...

Just looking to the plate i can taste the delicious biriyani, now you are making me drool for them.

sowmya said...

looks spicy and so yumm

Usha said...

Wow this biryani sounds absolutely flavorful, will definitely try !

Jaya said...

this is very delicious and I want that bowl of biryani now ...
one pot meals are always so filling , my kind of food ..
belated warm wishes for anniversay..
hugs and smiles

Deepa Hari said...

Yum...Biryani looks spicy and perfect...i can smell the aroma here.

Cham said...

Very aromatic and spicy ur birayani, good recipe!

Ashwini said...

Love biryanis..Can smell the aroma of it:-)..The color looks so inviting and mouth watering..

Mangala Bhat said...

hey Nice recipe ...looks very spicy and taatsy ..new recipe to me will try this sometime :)

Gita's Kitchen said...

The briyani looks awesome Deesha :)

Sathya Sankar said...

Biryani looks wonderful deesha, nice colour !

Varsha Vipins said...

Better late than never..Belated anniversary wishes to both of u..:)
The biriyani looks delish n spicy!!..am on hunt for chettinad Masala from now on..:D

n33ma said...

hmmmm looks so tasty and spicy.Bookmarked!

Lavanya said...

I like any dish belongs to chettinad..your biryani looks yummy!!

AnuSriram said...

Chettinad is always known for the spicy masalas.. Your biriyani looks fabulous! I can imagine how heavenly it would have tasted! Hmmmm!

A_and_N said...

Now thats what I call SPICY! Lots of spices :) I think thats a signature of Chettinad food no?

Indhu said...

the ingredient list made me drool :)
am sure it must have tasted awesome - will try this one for sure :)

Sanghi said...

A very spicy treat Deesha! Lovely click too!!:)

Vibaas said...

that looks spicy and awesome! :)

Smitha said...

Lip smacking dish:)

Sujatha said...

Chettinad briyani is one of my favorites.. Nothing can beat that nice authentic flavor! Yours looks great, Deesha!

And belated wishes for a very happy anniversary!

rekhas kitchen said...

looks spicy an so mouthwatering yum

Poornima Nair said...

That looks awesome...lovely colour...sounds delicious.

Daily Meals said...

Wow! Biryani looks colourful and yummy...

Arch said...

Looks really yum...chettinad masala adds a real zing to any dish..thanks for sharing

Shama Nagarajan said...

deesha..ur click make to have it at once...........yummy

Aparna Inguva said...

You had me at Chettinad!!! Love the flavours and loaded veggies. Click looks great too.

meeso said...

Goodness that looks and sounds like It's full of flavor! I am definitely bookmarking this!

Suma Rajesh said...

biriyani looks soooooooo tempting and awesome...wish u belated hppy anniversarytoo..hope u guys hd a blast..

Sushma said...

Had tasted this once in one of the Chettinad Resturants in Indiranagar, Bangalore. Biryani looks yum, seems like it is time for me to try soon :)

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

very new to me..looks very delicious and tempting enuf to try.

Priya Sriram said...

Chettinad biryani is new to me and looks delicious!

RAKS KITCHEN said...

Looks great! I am literally mouthwatering!!

Anisheetu said...

Wow wonderful briyani... it looks mouth watering....

Food Fanatic said...

mmmm my mouth watered!

Uma said...

looks gorgeous Deesha! Lovely biryani.

Smitha said...

Looks perfect must be perfect with all the wonderful spices :)

Anonymous said...

Hi...u have not mentioned at what point the paste should be added in biryani.

Gayathri said...

very delicious entry.

Valarmathi said...

Very good biryani and looks colorful.

Raaga said...

I have to book mark this... always in need of a good vegetable biryani recipe.

Rachel said...

A good veg biriyani is hard to come by...yours looks very scrumptious.

Sharmila said...

I thought I left a line .. blogger has been acting up .. anyway Deesha, the biryani looks fab. :-) Will help on veggie days. :-)

Adlak's tiny world said...

pic itself tempting deesha.. i feel hungry now.

Vani said...

That's one good looking biryani, Deesha!

Cilantro said...

Delicious Biryani... Love any kind of Biryani. Chettinad version looks nice and spicy.
Belated Happy Anniversary Wishes!

spicencook said...

Colourful and delicious recipe..... will surely try sometime.... :)

Purva Desai said...

This is new biryani for me...simply loved the spices used in preparing this biryani

Vidhya said...

yummy and colorful biryani. I made biryani today:) but something different. I am bookmarking this one..

Sia said...

this is the first time i came across chettinad biriyani. so thank u for that.
i simply adore the fiery, hot recipes from chettinad and their amazing blend of spices. i can't wait to try this recipe.

Madhuram said...

This biriyani looks so good. I have to try it one of these days.

Madhuram said...

Hi Deesha, started preparing this Biriyani and notice that you have forgotten to mention to add the paste. But I'm assuming that we would add it after frying the onions and I'm proceeding with it. Will let you know after lunch. But I'm very sure that we are going to love it. The aroma is so appetizing.

Madhuram said...

We loved it Deesha. The taste and smell was very good. Thanks for this awesome recipe.

DEESHA said...

Madhuram - Glad to know that you guys liked it

ARUNA said...

this is yet another delicious recipe from u Deesha! I'm hungry!

Anonymous said...

ups sorry delete plz [url=http://duhum.com].[/url]

VJ said...

Hi Deesha,
the chettinad veg biriyani recipe is awesome!!!! tried it ...an instant sell out. everyone at home was in full praise for ur recipe ...sooo like Anjapar ..... thanks a bunch for posting
SR

Vivaana said...

Hey Deepthi, awesome recipe. My hubby is a foodie and i love trying new recipes for him and this one turned out to be awesome.. Thanks a ton

Archana

Wholesale Printing said...

Special Upload For Speical People Great. I always welcomed your blog. By Regards Brochure Printing

Kavitha Rao said...

Hey Deepthi, I tried this biryani today and turned out awesome!My daughter loved it, thanks a ton :)

DEESHA said...

Thanks for letting me know Kavitha. Am glad you guys liked it