Instant Huli Avalakki

Saturday, January 06, 2018


Wishing you all a Very Happy 2018. I can't believe that we are already 1 week into the new year.

I know it's been eons since I have written anything out here. I never intended to take a break, but  you how, things never work out as planned :)

This post was in my drafts since August 2017 & I was intending to post this was Janmashtami last year. But it is finally seeing the light in 2018 :)

Huli Avalakki

So, I came up with this instant version of Huli Avalakki with Puliyogare powder & it turned out pretty good. I made this in about 20 minutes & its perfect when you are short of time 

You Will Need:

  • 1 cup Thick Poha/Beaten Rice 
  • 2 tbsp Puliyogare Powder - Homemade or store bought - I used homemade
  • Mustard Seeds
  • 3-4 Dry Red chilies
  • A handful of Peanuts
  • 1 tsp Urad Dal
  • 1 tsp Chana Dal
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 2 tbsp cooking Oil
  • Salt as per taste
  • A sprig of Curry Leaves
  • A big pimch of Asafoetida
  • 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut

How To:

Clean Poha under running water & soak in water for about 10 minutes. Drain into a colander & set aside.

In a Kadhai, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, add Asafoetida, peanuts & saute on low flame for a minute. Add Urad Dal, Chana Dal, turmeric, Red chilies & curry leaves & saute until the dals change color & are crisp

Add puliyogare powder & stir. Add Poha & salt & give it a good mix.  Lastly add grated coconut  and mix well. Let it stand on low flame for a minute. Turn off the heat & transfer into a serving bowl

NOTE: My Puliyogare mix already had tamarind powder & powdered Jaggery in it. So I did not add any additional powdered jaggery or tamarind powder



You Might Also Like

3 comments