June 10, 2008

Spinach in Yogurt - Coconut - Chilli Gravy

I have for you today a very healthy & tasty dish which can be made in a jiffy. This is a very common recipe from Malnad region. My mother-in-law being from this part of karnataka makes this dish very frequently. When I had this for the first time, I simply loved it.I was awed by the simplicity of this dish & its very tasty too. This goes as a main/side dish with rice.
This is my very first post on VEGETABLE PLATTER . Hope you all like this !!

Preparation Time: 15 mins

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup finely chopped spinach/palak
  • 1 cup curds
  • 4-5 tbsp grated coconut - fresh/frozen
  • 2 - 3 green chilles - low/medium spiced
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • Salt as per taste
  • 1 tsp ghee

Method:

  1. Boil spinach with a pinch of salt & keep it aside
  2. Grind coconut, green chillies & 1 tsp mustard seeds into a smooth paste with very little water
  3. Add this paste to boiled spinach
  4. Add curds
  5. Add salt as per taste
  6. Temper with mustard & cumin seeds, serve with rice. Enjoy !!

Variation:

You can also try making this with

  • Okra / Ladies finger
  • Green Beans
  • Ginger
  • Any green leavy vegetable



I will be sending over this recipe to Siri's place for her summer event 'Frozen Yogurt'
Check out the event @ Frozen Yogurt

3 comments:

For The People said...

Sounds Yummy!

Arundathi said...

that looks very good. thanks for visiting my blog!

Bhavani said...

Hi Deesha, looks very nice. How do you do with ginger or mint leaves?